The coop is finished! The Garden Coop with a few mods...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tinuviel_k, Jul 31, 2014.

1. tinuviel_k

tinuviel_k New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    I decided to go with the Garden Coop plans when I decided to build our coop. I am really happy with the results! The plans were clear and easy to follow, and my husband did a nice job modifying in several areas. We had a lot of fun building it!
    The coop and run is about 10 X 6 feet. I have ten chicks and plan on keeping six. The chicks are 5.5 weeks old and are living in the coop now, with a light for warmth in the coop for the next couple weeks until they are fully feathered out.

[​IMG]
    Here it is!

[​IMG]
    Another view

[​IMG]
    We added on external nesting boxes (not in the original plans). We did an interesting modification, as you'll see in the next pic...

[​IMG]
    We didn't like that the only clean-out door was on the inside, so my husband came up with this interesting plan of having the nesting boxes flip UP on a bar hinge. The nest boxes and the whole wall rotate inward and up, allowing us to get into the coop with a rake and clean out all the litter from the outside. Of course, we need to make sure the nest boxes are empty first!

[​IMG]
    The inside of the coop. The original plans called for a double "floating" interior wall. We live in a mild maritime Northwest climate and decided a single lapped wall would do. This allowed us to create the pivoting nest box wall. We haven't built the roosts yet, and the ladies are still a little young. Next week!

[​IMG]
    The hen house view from inside the run.

[​IMG]
    5.5 week old chicks enjoying a bundle of nasturtiums, comfrey, and oregano next to their dust bath area.

2. nerisa82

nerisa82 New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    I love the color! The flip up nesting boxes are a really neat idea too. :)

3. Jetpad

Jetpad Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks good. I like the green and natural wood colors together.

4. PurpleChicken1

PurpleChicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Wow. That is so cool. I love the interior design.

5. CHIKENROOKIE

CHIKENROOKIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Olathe
    Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by