The coop isn't exactly finished, but chicks are in it! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amamaofmany, Apr 25, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    YAY! My awesome son, daughters and husband worked their butts off today getting the coop to the point where we could put the 4 week pullets into it! Today, my husband, with a lot of help from the kids, put up walls, installed old doublepane windows that had no frames (and managed to get them to open if they are propped) built a people door with a chicken door in it and installed vinyl floor! I worked on getting things as needed ("Busy Beaver - 4 more 4x6! Make it five!")

We absolutely had to get them out of the big plastic box on the kitchen table. There was no room at all left for the poor things.

We have some old but nice wooden siding that will be going on, and it will then be painted brick red with white trim. The structure is level - the wall is not! It doesn't quite look that way in the pictures.

[​IMG]

The 'chickens go out' side - but they can't go out just yet as the run is not ready for them. We have the materials, but haven't had the time. I'm going to take the dirt out of the run and replace it with sand.

[​IMG]

The chicks inside! We will put insulation in, and then either showerboard or vinyl panels in for easy cleaning.

[​IMG]

We decided to leave the light on for their first night as we did when they were in the box, just so they can find their food & water in their unfamiliar new feeder & waterer and also in the strange new space they inhabit, and know their way around a bit. Tomorrow, lights out!

Here's a picture of some of them on their roost. There are two roosts; one high, and one is a wooden CD rack laying flat (which you can see a bit of in the picture above). It has rows of dowel rod that are just the right height for the little ones if its laying flat.

These pullets were put up on the big roost before we went out because we were stepping on them underfoot in the narrow 4 foot space. All that room and they have to huddle on my feet!

They seemed to like it on top of the world!

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Any project worked on by a family is a project that builds more than just a chicken coop. Great job.

3. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Nice COOP!!!!

Looks like there already settling in.

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Wow that first picture looked like you put an addition on to the house. It looks nice and roomy though. Good job getting so much done in one day.

5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Very nice! I love all the windows and the door, too. What a lot of work you all did....Lucky little chickies. [​IMG]

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    that is awesome! it looks HUGE! the chicks look like they are going to loveee it. congrats on such good work!

7. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    Great job...[​IMG]

8. carey34

carey34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southern NH
    that is awesome!! I love the windows and it looks great with the house.great job [​IMG]

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    very nice job. [​IMG]

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Really nice house, I'm jealous! Love that glass door and all the windows. You guys did a great job~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by