1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The coop start and stop project- Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tovah, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    I had a vision that a coop would take 2-3 weekends. What was I thinking [​IMG] This is now called the "start and stop coop project!" We get the area leveled and cleared of dirt and dog poop, then it rains.... Then we purchase our recycled redwood and some new stuff, ready to dig post holes with our rented post hole digger, oh wait, rain again, can't put the cement in.... Rain stops, but all the helping hands are gone. 4 weeks later and we are still at the 'Framing" stage. Did I mention this is Northern California in JUNE! We never get rain in June. In fact, last year we still were in drought conditions. DROUGHT is over! I think the rain has finally passed and it's time to get the crew going again. (Can't pester them too much, free help...) [​IMG] We better get crackin since our 6 baby chicks are growing at a stellar pace.[​IMG]

Ok, we are ready: gloves - check, hammer - check, poultry staples - check, nails - check, hardware cloth - check. Could not be more ready, but wait is that our tree I see split in half with a huge branch (the size of a small tree) on our kids' play structure (see pic below). Oh man! When will this coop be built. Time to call tree removal for an emergency job ($$$) on a Saturday afternoon. [​IMG] Is there a chicken hotel for displaced chickens while they wait for their condo to be built? Stay tuned!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I had a vision that a coop would take 2-3 weekends.

[​IMG]

Ain't it da truuff!! I thought I'd have all kinds of time for my little coop, but this bizarre weather is NOT coop-erating!! I've had to double the "brooder" size because of all the delays, but fortunately, apple bins make great temporary housing...

Your setup is looking good, tho! [​IMG] Aren't those post levelers tha' poo poo?!?! So much easier than trying to hold a level AND set the brace...​

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I hear ya about the weather. I have so many projects waiting to be finished it's ridiculous. Every time I take out a can of paint a big black cloud comes over. Oh well. Hopefully I get things done before snow flies.

4. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    Quote:I complain, but really I do not have to deal with snow. I cannot imagine the challenges there are raising chickens in such a cold climate. Very sunny last few days so made more progress on the coop. Next is getting all the hardware cloth down.[​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

A 2 - 3 weekend building plan is like chicken math....you don't know how it's gonna go but there's a good chance it will make the news somewhere !

6. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    Quote:Chicken Math, is that like "new math?" I think this is the chicken newbie initiation. Everyone here makes it look so easy. We made more progress yesterday! I'd post more pics but my computer will not download from my phone. [​IMG] Hopefully very soon I will have something to share.

7. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    We've made some progress!!! So happy, but chicks are getting restless at 5 weeks. I hope we can finish before the 4th of July!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think coop building (at least for us) always takes longer than we originally plan.
    Here are 3 of my coops.
    [​IMG]

9. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    CMOM, your coops are on a much larger scale than mine. So I probably do not have a great excuse for not getting this done. But I use the excuses anyway. [​IMG] Your coops look really good. How many chickens do you have? [​IMG]

10. smeek1

smeek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Tovah, my coop and run looks a lot like yours, I have 4 chickens.......we didn't get the coop done until they were 9 weeks old and it worked out ok. I have sand in the bottom of my run, shavings in the coop, a 2 by 4 for a roost in front of the clean out doors. I also have a daytime tractor which I use most days when I am home. works great![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by