The Coop Without a Name

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JACC0811, Jan 28, 2013.

1. JACC0811

JACC0811 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    Hi everyone! I wanted to share my FB page with pic's of my coop that I am building.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.578172805530542.142091.572193219461834&type=1&l=785a6e37c5

The coop is 4'w x 8'l x 6'h and is being built to match our barn. So far it has been built with 99% reclaimed materials that I picked up from pallets and dumpsters at construction sites. The 1% is all of my fasteners that I still had on hand from other projects. It has a gambrel roof (still working on that), pallet wood board and batten siding, and will have a 8'l x 6'w run underneath.

I did not have any plans to go by, other than the ideas and concepts in my head. Any drawings I do have are sketched out on the lumber as I'm building. I used to be in the construction trade, and this is a simple design, so I've gotten by pretty well I think. The only thing that I had to draw and plan for any amount of time was the roof structure.

As soon as I get about 3-5 more pallets for the rest of the siding, and a few more 2x4's for the clean out door and run, it will be finished. My plan for the chickens is to get 6-8 Ameraucanas for egg laying. But I might add to the flock, or hatch some eggs later on to get some meat birds.

Well, check out the pictures and the rest of my page. Feel free to give it a like on FB and you can also friend me if you choose.

2. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California
    Nice! Do you have it installed in its permanent place yet? Or is it still being worked on in your garage/workshop?

R.

3. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    Thanks! It's still being finished in my garage. When it is done I will be setting it by our barn. I might also add some turf tires and finish it as a tractor since I have a lot of land I can move it on.

4. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    An update on the coop, it is close to finished. Although its 18" shorter lol. I had a problem when moving it out of the garage. One of the legs had a fracture I didn't see when I put it on and it snapped when the coop got caught on a crack in the concrete. But I have wheels on it for the rare times I need to move it now and so I can move it in and out of the garage when I work on it before it goes in the yard.

The picture is before the wheels and some other things got done.
    [​IMG]

5. Kaytracy

Kaytracy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    very pretty!

6. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    Thank you!

7. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    My coop is finished except for the upper vents and a run. I will do those when I move the coop to its perm. spot in the yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    How about this for a name, "Pullet Surprise"? Lol

9. Neddie

Neddie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Southwest Oklahoma
    I'm impressed! Good for you for repurposing lumber. I see the pallets in the backround, too. Why did you deside to have the clean-out door as a single uplifting door? Just curious. I love the design - mind if I barrow a few ideas? (Yesterday I asked a builder in my neighborhood if I could scavenge the trash pile when they were done framing. He was fine with it.) Keep us updated on how the floor vents work. Interesting idea.

10. JACC0811

Mar 4, 2011
    Centerville, Ohio
    Thank you!

I'm going to try the single door, but if it becomes a problem I can easily change it.

You are more than welcome to use ideas from my coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by