The Coturnix are Hatching!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by loopy119, Jul 25, 2011.

1. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    [​IMG] So far I've got 7 and lots of zips and pips! This will be my biggest hatch since getting the quail. 34! The next hatch will be the full 120. Last time I hatched 4. I'll try and get some good pics once they are in the brooder. The window of the bator causes too much of a glare.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are you using a Styrofoam incubator? I've never had good hatches with a 'full' (120 egg) hatch in a styro-bator.

3. loopy119

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Yes, an LG. But I have had pretty great hatches with it! And I will be splitting my eggs between my homemade bator and the LG for lockdown. I hate when they kick the other eggs around like footballs. Lol!

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds awesome, i can't wait till mine hatch, seeing all the babies popping up, omg i can't sleep!

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    yay babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. loopy119

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I put 11 in the brooder so far and took out one that zipped and then died. I also took some good advice and had hot water and a paper towel ready before I opened my bator and was able to get the humidity back up within seconds of closing it again. I opened the dead egg up to find a fully formed chick that absorbed its yolk but just never made it out. Maybe the other chicks just kicked it around too much because the membrane wasn't stuck to it at all. Anyway, gonna let the rest of the eggs try and hatch. This is actually day 18 for them and day 1 I actually put them in about 11pm, so I figure they still have plenty of time. So far they all look like browns, but I put in eggs from all my colors. Last hatch I got an A&M from my browns. None of the golden's eggs have hatched yet, so I'm just hoping they come with the next wave. [​IMG] staying positive! [​IMG]

7. loopy119

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I think this should show y'all a pic. I hope I'm doing this right...

[​IMG]

They are already drinking out of their water bottle and eating their starter [​IMG]

Edited to add: YAY! It worked!! lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    good stuff, some suggest hatching in egg cartons, small end down, keeps the eggs from rolling around. there was a discussion about it. I use the egg carton method and like it.

good luck!

9. loopy119

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Thanks for the suggestion! I actually hatch my chicken eggs in cartons all the time, but I didn't know if the quail would do alright in them. I will lock them down in cartons next time though!

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I leave them in their turners and turn the turner off turning hatch time [​IMG] similar to the cartons. I hatch about 300 a month though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by