1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The coyotes are back

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Flock Master64, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello
    Recently there have been some coyote sightings around the area where I live, a few days ago my dad said he saw one in the back of our property but I haven't seen or heard any. I'm not too worried about them getting my birds or anything. I have a trail cam set up around my coop and a door closed to they can't get in, but what I'm wondering is how can I get rid of any that show up? I know of several ways to trap and releas animals but all my traps ( wich do not harm anything they catch FYI ) are too small for most coyotes

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How do you know what traps I have? I have a lot of traps and I'm sure I can find one that can catch a coyote without harming it. They don't call me Trapper Jake for nothing

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    What do you mean "get rid of"?

If your birds are safe from them, what is your concern?

5. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How long will they be safe? I mean what's stopping the coyotes from coming during the day when my birds are free ranging?

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    That was going to be my next question to you. What is stopping them? If the answer is nothing, then yes your birds are at risk during the day.

The best solution is an electric fence around the perimeter you want to establish to keep them safe within. Type of fence depends on how large of a perimeter you want to establish.

For small areas.........poultry netting. For larger areas, light wire systems.

1 person likes this.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Sometimes you can have a predator come around for a long time without going after your birds even when the birds are free-range. My predators seem to have a handle on what it is abundant and easy. Even when coming through my place daily they did not go after my birds as had not obvious need at the time. When looking for an easier option or to replace one that dried up they would then start putting moves on my birds. It was nothing to go months without losses before Coyote would get mind set my birds were on menu. Usually you have more than one Coyote.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Dogs are usually good at keeping Coyotes away....Mine are....Traps are fine as long as you do not catch someones pets?
    I know their are snares that can catch animals alive and not kill them....

Cheers!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Please do not trap and release predator or pest animals....if you're going to trap it, kill it.
    It's unhealthy and usually illegal to relocate/release.

1 person likes this.
  10. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN

X2 Nor is it fair to give someone else your predator problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by