The Crack House

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by imnukensc, Jun 20, 2017.

1. imnukensc

imnukensc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    Columbia, SC
    I've been pondering/planning a small (4 birds) chicken coop for the backyard for the past few months, but there's been so many other things taking higher priority this spring that it's taken until now to get to it. I looked at dozens and dozens of backyard coop plans and sketched some stuff out. While I probably could've slapped something together that a chicken would be happy to call home, I enlisted the help of my friend Andy "Trump" Welch. (Andy's motto is "Making Chicken Coops Great Again!") Andy is one hell of a builder and I can assure you he didn't cut corners on this coop. I said earlier that I enlisted his help, but in truth, I was the help. I mostly handed him boards so that he could make sure they were cut squarely, to the correct length, and joined and fastened securely. I truly owe him a debt of gratitude for his expertise. We worked mostly in the afternoons. You can see the dates on the pics to follow the progress.

About the coop: It is sited on the western side of the yard to take advantage of the afternoon shade there. The whole yard is pretty shady most of the day, but there is some direct midday sun from about noon to 4 PM. All of the wood is pressure treated. The basic floor is a 5X5 square not including the nest box which is about 2 1/2 feet wide by 1 foot 4 inches deep to allow for two nest spaces. There is a 2 foot wide strip of 1/2x1 inch wire under the roost. Support posts are set in concrete. Since my house is board and batten, I went with T1-11 to somewhat mimic that. The high side from floor to ceiling is 4 feet. Low side is 3'6". Roof is some 5V I had left from a project years ago. The run will be 8' x 16'. The plan is to let the chickens free range daily unless it's pouring down rain and I don't feel like going to let them out of the run.

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2136.JPG IMG_2138.JPG

Rather than a daily "blow by blow" of building the run, I'll just show a pic of when it was finally completed.
    IMG_2180.JPG

Comments, critiques, questions welcomed.

kitkat5505 and NorthTexasWink like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Only thing I can see is chicken math did not get the best of you YET. I'm sure your friend will be willing to help you build the LARGER one next year. :lau

BTW WELCOME and WISHING YOU BEST.... :welcome

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You're gonna need way more ventilation in that coop to make it 'great' for SC.
    Maybe the eaves are open and just can't see in these pics,
    still a top hinged window or two might a good idea for more ventilation in summer and some light all year round.

How is the mesh attached to run framing?

Might want a gutter on the low side of roof so nest lid doesn't get deluged.

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  4. imnukensc

May 22, 2017
    Columbia, SC
    You could be right about needing more ventilation, but what you can't tell from the pics is that the 5V has "built in venting" from the ridges in it and there is a 2' X 5' section of "flooring" under the roost that is wire. There have been several deluges since the coop was built. Both the coop and the nest box stay dry as a bone so I'm not worried about water getting in the nest box. The 5V over the nest box is attached to 3/4" plywood and is also caulked where it butts up against the coop wall. IMG_2140.JPG
    All wire on the run is attached with 3/4" staples about every 2 inches.
    Could you elaborate on the need for windows/light?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ah, the floor vent should help...what size is that mesh?
    We all like some light, even chickens...maybe not as important as up here,
    where they can spend days on end inside the coop during bad weather.

6. imnukensc

May 22, 2017
    Columbia, SC
    The wire mesh is 1/2" x 1", 16 gauge. Weather here is quite mild compared to your location. Doubt my chickens will spend much time in the coop except to roost or lay eggs. There will be no food or water kept in there. Hard to see in the picture of the run, but there is a 6' x 8' area also covered with 5V where their feed and water will be. I plan to free range them every day except when the weather is inclement enough that I don't feel like walking out to open the run door.

aart and NorthTexasWink like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by