The crazy peacock story

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chicken_boy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. chicken_boy

chicken_boy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Macks Creek missouri
    I recently caught a peacock in the woods of Missouri.

So the story goes I go hunting(for deer) at about 3:30 pm after school about 4 i see these turkeys coming through and all of the sudden i see a peacock so the next day The same thing happens but i watched the peacock roost so just after dark i climb thirty to forty feet up in this tree and caught it..

so long story short anyone Near Macks Creek, Missouri have a young peahen for sale that I could pair with him:D

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's kinda cool. You'll have to post a pix.

I had a parakeet move in with the chickens this summer. She's now living in my kitchen.

Imp

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yep you are crazy alright,
    i would think a full grown male would tear your butt up, course i never pick mine up so what do i know. [​IMG]

How were you able to see it , my head lamp would not last long enough for me to get 30 to 40 foot up and down a tree with a Pea in hand. course i am pretty old but i still climb into trees when i have too.

Got a photo of him to share.

4. chicken_boy

chicken_boy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Macks Creek missouri
    Ill get pictures tonight and once i got in the tree i called my brother and he came i kinda tossed it to him it flew a few feet and he caught it

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I have about the same story!! A friend of mine has been rasieing free range peafowl for 15 years. She started out with 5-6 peas, and is now up to over 50.
    She told me if you want them you can have them, but YOU have to catch them. Me and a friend have cought a few now, but man oh man they are hard to catch!! Most of them roost in the same tree every night, but it is a huge tree and hard to climb with out tree spikes on your boots.

This is one of the guys we cought.
    [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Nice peacock..

Hint on catching them.....take a large dog kennel 10 x 10 with a top..feed them inside it, after a few days. U can use a rope to pull gate closed from far away....If not able to be there. Use a bungle cord on the gate to hold closed. Them pull gate open , tie back with solder wrapped around a soldering iron, that is plug in to a motion detector, set the MD back of kennel where the feed is. When the peafowl get in to eat, they set off the MD which turn the solder iron on . Melting the solder which lets the bungle cord pull the gate closed with birds inside.

Good luck ,lot easier than climbing trees 30 feet high.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Yes I have 2 young pied females for sale. Shame you don't live closer...

8. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:Too bad your 5 hours from me or I would be all over those hens!!!

I only have 1 IB hen and 1 IB BS hen. Then for males I have that guy pictured above, and 3 IB's, 1 IB BS, & 2 IB Pieds.
    I would love to find some hens, but with the holidays Im short on cash...would be great to find someone with a ton of hens and not enough males!!! [​IMG]
    Maybe make a trade !!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by