The cry of the owl, a romance. >>>Please read<<<

Would you like to read more of this story?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

chicklover16

queen of flirts
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Em's Dungeon
Hi guys, I do a whole bunch of writing and have about five stories in progress and I thought I'd share this one. Hope you like it!

This is copywrited material, unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Eliza leaned against the window sill and watched as the sun fell behind the horizon. Rain beat against the glass. A distant wolf’s cry made an eerie sound through the rain. Eliza closed her eyes. Suddenly every muscle in her body froze and her blood chilled as she heard the sound of a hooting owl, three long hoots, two short. It was the emergency signal. She crept downstairs and out the front door. She looked around and spotted the silhouette of a tall broad shouldered man against the horizon.
“Armand? What’s the matter, why did you call me?” She asked, the man turned towards her
“Eliza, I am leaving” he said bluntly. Eliza stared
“Leaving? Why? When will you be back?”
“I’ve been enlisted in the army, who knows when I’ll be back”
“What?” Eliza’s voice was just above a whisper
“I came to say goodbye”
“Goodbye….” Eliza echoed the word faintly as if it where a death sentence
“But before I leave I want to ask you a request”
“Ask me anything”

If anyone is interested I'll post more.

good so far!
pop.gif

Thanks! here is the next part:

“Ask me anything”
“I want you to promise me your heart Eliza. Promise me that when I come back you will still be here waiting for me. Promise me that you will think about me every once in a while. You can be assured that I will always be thinking about you Eliza” His words echoed in Eliza’s head, she wanted nothing more than to tell him that she would always be his, that he need not even ask for her heart because it was already his. But she restrained herself and answered
“Oh what would my mother say if she knew that I met you like this Armand”
“Well we won’t be anymore, this is the last I will see you for a long, long, time. Who knows but what I may die before I come back. And if I cannot have you Eliza than my heart will be dead before I even leave your grounds.” Armand looked so sad as he uttered the words that Eliza lost all reserve
“Armand, don’t speak so! You know that you have my heart Armand!” the tiniest trace of a smile twitched at the side of Armand’s mouth
“Then can you promise me faithfully that you shall not belong to someone else when I come back?”
“Armand! You cannot think me so fickle! I give you my word, when you come back, I shall be as much yours as I ever have been”
“Eliza, you still have not given me what I want. Even now I do not have as much of your heart as I wish, you still have a cool reserve of upper class society that forbids you from giving your heart over to a poor country boy”
“What do you want Armand?”
“When I come back will you marry me Eliza?” Armand spoke slowly and determinedly.
“Armand you are unkind, you know I can refuse you nothing and so you ask me for what I cannot give”
“You are saying that you cannot care for me?”
“You are determined to have your way in something that you cannot have your way in, how can you possibly expect a girl of fifteen to promise her hand in marriage?”
“So even though I may never see you again, even though I may die before the year is out. You will not even give me the pleasure of something to look forward too when I come home?” upon this Eliza broke down into a fit of tears and ran into the house, leaving Armand staring at the place in which she had been standing.
“Well that certainly went well” He said sarcastically. When he looked down he saw something shining on the ground. It was the locket that he had given Eliza when they first met, it had fallen off of her neck when she ran in the house. He bent and picked it up, when he opened it he saw in one side a picture of himself, and on the other a picture of Eliza.
“So my case is not as hopeless as it appears. She at least kept this token of my affection, and now I shall take it as a token of hers” he kissed the little painting and then slipped the necklace into his pocket.

thanks for the encouragement! here is some more:

“Eliza, where were you?” Eliza’s little brother Timmy asked as she began running up the stairs
“For pities sake Timothy, for the first time in your life leave me alone!” she ran up the stairs and fell on her bed. She reached for her locket and realized that it was gone.
“That silly, silly, silly boy! He has taken my locket and now he will get some childish notion in his head. Poor, poor, poor, boy. But what am I supposed to do! If he knew about him than he would never speak to me again. If only he knew how badly I wanted to say yes! I held myself back for his sake, it is better that I not bind him to a girl who would be a shame to him in the end. How heartless he must think me! Nay if only he knew that it was for love that I refused him!”
“Eliza! Supper is ready!” Timmy called through the door
“Go away I’m not hungry” Eliza answered curtly
“Mamma sent me!” Timothy poked his head through the door
“Dear, dear little Timmy, please make excuse for me to mamma. I really cannot eat tonight. You are such a clever little thing you will think of some good explanation for me” Eliza begged
“Now I know you are ill, you are being nice to me” Timmy laughed
“Please?”
“Oh fine, most likely you have some secret lover who abandoned you” Timothy rolled his eyes and shut the door.
“If only he knew how close he was to the truth”

“Soldier one four three six!” Armand walked up and received his gun then walked back to the bench with the twenty other men who where cleaning their guns.
“Hey Armand something fell out of your pocket” One of the men said as he sat down. Armand quickly picked up the locket which had fallen out of his pocket.
“What’s that? A necklace? Looks kind of dainty for a big guy like you Armand. Ha! I didn’t know we had a sissy among us!” the man laughed. Armand scowled.
“Hey now, hold your horses James, maybe there is an important picture in the locket” A second man said to the first.
“Now there’s a thought? Show us the locket Armand” James prodded.
“Please shut up and clean your gun” Armand said politely
“Well look who’s getting so touchy! C’mon Armand! Just let us see the picture!”
“Mind your own business”
“Aw, just one peek? Please?
“Fine” Armand pulled the locket out of his pocket and let the men look at it
“Wow! Who’s that?” The man chocked
“Her name is Eliza” Armand snapped the locket shut and put it back in his pocket
“What a face! Who is she?” James asked
“She is the daughter of Lord Braughman, upon whose death she will inherit ten thousand pounds. But all her fortune compares not to her lovely temper. I can recall the last time I saw her face as if it where only last night. Actually to be honest the last time I saw her face it was kind of red and puffy but even in that state of distress she was ten times prettier than your finest southern belle” Armand finished decidedly
“I suppose she was swearing her heart to you upon your departure, sobbing her eyes out because you where leaving, kissing your face off and gave you that locket as a token of her love eh? Ha! It’s an age old story, too cliché for me.” James laughed mockingly
“Far from it. For your information she is only fifteen and refused to swear her heart to anyone, she only cried because I was being foolish and immature, and she didn’t give me the locket, I took it” Armand picked up his gun and walked over to a different bench where he began cleaning his gun.
“Soldier one four three six! You have received a letter!” The captain walked into the room with a white envelope in his hand. Armand stood up and took took the letter from the captain.

Thank you sir” He said, sitting down. He opened the letter with trembling hands, could it be from Eliza? Why would she write so soon? He looked at the letter

Dear Armand,
How is it at boot camp? Don’t wear helmets that other people used or you can get lice! And remember to take off your boots between drills or you will get bunions. I’ll see you when you get back hunny bunches!
Love,
Grandma

Armand crumpled the paper and threw it in the garbage.
“Hey Armand what’s that? A letter from the blonde?” James called over from where he was supposed to be cleaning his gun but he was really playing checkers with one if his cronies.
“For once in your life mind your own business!” Armand shouted. The room was silent. James and the man who had been playing checkers with him silently began cleaning their guns again.

More coming soon.....

Back
Top Bottom