The Culling/ The Laying (The end/ The Beginning)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smittenroade, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Yesterday Feb 15, it seemed like a special day. It was a bright and sunny outside, around 75 degrees, the first warm day in quite awhile. I went out at 6am to feed and water the chickens and hopefully find an egg. However, I found nothing yet again, this would be the second week with no eggs. I was pretty bummed to tell you the truth. I went to check the Cornish X's who always ate with haste and recklessness. The previous days I had been watching a sick chick, I hadn't quarantined it yet because it seemed to be doing better. But when I looked to the feed it wasn't eating, I found it in the corner of the run bleeding and the other chickens kept pecking at its wound. I had read in "Raising Chickens for Dummies" that this could happen, but I wasn't prepared for it at that moment. I picked it up to inspect it and the prognosis was not good. I will not go in to detail but it was apparent that the chick would not make it. This was my first time that I had to cull a chick and it was a very sombering experience. I uttered a small prayer and went about my terrible duty with speed and precision. I didn't want the small chick to suffer anymore than it already had. The rest of the day I was pretty bummed and I caught myself reflecting on death quite a bit.

Today Feb 16. Today I was a bit more apprehensive about going to check the chickens, thinking I might find another in pain and have to perform the same grissly duty again. I went to get the feed and fresh water, the routine I was slowly getting better at for the past two weeks. I walked over to the run, in the small distance between the run and the feed my mind was racing with horrible possibilities. When I noticed everyone was okay, I let out a sigh of relief. I went to the back and opened up the coop and sifted through the hay and was surprised by the golf ball I had laid there, like every morning. I opened up the last nesting box and SURPRISE! A new and wonderful life. I picked up the small egg and reflected on the previous days events. All my anxiety and grief was washed away in that instant. So today I reflect, not on death but on life. Everything has an end and a beginning, the end might be sad but after the end comes a new beginning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    yes, we had a chickie that was blind and had something else wrong with it that I had my DH put down...quickly and painlessly. It broke my heart and I cried, but it hurt more to see it suffering.

Now my silkie Mama and I can focus on the healthy little biddies and be happy instead of sad.

I went throught the same emotions as you, but realized sometimes these things have to be done.

Survival of the fittest, right?[​IMG]

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    [​IMG] is all.

5. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Glad someone read it. Not many people like reading alot of text. [​IMG] It was a reflective two days, thats for sure. I actually went out today and saw all my chickens laying in the dirt. Of course the anxiety is still with me and I was like, dangit....all my chickens are dead..but they were just taking a dust bath [​IMG] big sigh of relief. [​IMG]

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Please don't let one bad experience sour the joy of having chickens. Some will die, but keep them in your thoughts and direct that love and attention to the rest of your flock.

I had my entire population of quail killed by an unknown foe. I was sad, then fortified my coop to keep something like that from happening again.

My little dead chick was not meant to live, but the other 2 are happy and healthy. That's life. And death.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I thought I was the only one with those kind of morbid fears! [​IMG] I wake up every morning and think of the thousands of possibilities, including thousands of deaths and omens that could happen to my chickens while I am not there. I am the biggest worrywart ever, and whenever I hear just clucking I run to the window to make sure they're all okay. I'll be installing a baby monitor soon! [​IMG] (Joking)
    Sorry about your chick. I hate culling. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by