The cutest thing....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

My Muscovy hen and her lone hatchling.

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    That's precious!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is adorable, I was hoping you'd post how things are going, looks like there going good. [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have mom and baby locked in the coop during the day for now. Dad and the other girls seem interested in the peeping. Everyone was very good with the first babies but I figure since its the only one I don't want mom taking it on any hikes yet since it has no siblings to huddle with.

Mom took it on a walk around the coop today where they laid in the sun. My other broody is due to hatch 3/11 so it will have some younger half siblings. I'm hoping her hatch is better than this one. I may get in there and candle some, just in case. She is sitting on 15 or 16 eggs.

If I check them and a number aren't good, I think I'll keep checking at TSC for some Pekin. There is also a "farm" north of us that orders and resells chicks and ducklings so that may be an option too. I only want to get 4 or 5 Pekin so it would be cheaper for me to get them locally than to order from Metzer. My neighbor's dogs recently killed 2 of my chickens and he insisted on compensating me, so I've got a bit of extra money that I can use to buy some ducklings.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your wise to keep mama and baby separated for a while, last year 2 of my ducklings where killed one was trampled by my gander who loved all things duckling but it can happen so quick especially when so many are walking around, my other one my dachshund got. [​IMG] so always best to be cautious. Looks like mama is doing her part. Sorry about your chickens, I hate it when people let their dogs run loose.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks ML. I shouldn't have to worry about the dogs again (it was their 2nd time here killing my chickens in 4 months) The owner is getting rid of 1 and the police shot the other one (didn't kill it but it sounds like it will be permanently disabled) when they went to inform him of my report about the dogs. I feel bad (to a degree) that the police shot it but at least it won't be back.

7. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Oh! That is so precious! [​IMG]

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Adorable! That is to bad about your chickens but at least the neighbours have stepped up. Good luck in your pekin hunt lol We're on countdown here.. i need to start getting the stall ready as she's nested under the shelf so i will have to move her and the babies out of the main area of the barn for safety sake.

We've gone cold again but not to severe at least i hope but by this point things like temp shouldn't interfere to much. She's the duck who had only 1that lived last year, so should be interesting to see if she gets more this year...

everyone cross everything for girls!![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks for sharing that pic. It is really cute!!! Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by