"THE DAY HELL BROKE LOOSE"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RioLindoAz, May 5, 2008.

1. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    This morning, when I was watching the news, the weather man said that we were going to have a sunny, bright, heavenly, day. I believed him because, IT'S OBVIOUS! I LIVE IN ARIZONA! So I let Nieves (broody hen) and her chicks out to free range in the yard all day. At about noon it started to get cloudy and the sun was hardly visible. After a couple of minutes, sprinkles started to fall from the sky. YAY! Its raining!!! Even my chickens started having a ball -including Nieves and her chicks. Little by little the rain got heavier. The chickens were done with thier "ball" and were ready to crash. But Nieves and her chicks were still out in the open. So I ran outside to put them inside thier "family coop." So I opend the door to the backyard and steped outside and took my sweet time getting to Nieves and her chicks to enjoy the rare rain. I was half way there, and suddenly, HELL BROKE LOSE. I hear loud thunder and see lightning from a distance. I started walking faster. Then, I feel something beating on my head, I look around and I see giant balls of ice laying on the floor. I immetiatly, ran inside my house. Nieves and her chicks started running to thier "family coop." Suddenly, Nieves falls flat on the floor. I thought she was hit by an ice. But she wasn't. All her chicks snuggled under her. Nieves put her head under her wing and it looked like she was a white towel laying on the floor. After about two minutes, all the rain was gone, the sun appeared, and Nieves took her head out from under her wing. One of her chicks pops his head out from her feathers. It Was Adorable.
    Best of all, Hell was cooped up again. Even the devil thought it was cute [​IMG]

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Wow i see one bad word [​IMG]

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    You had me afraid something bad happened!!! I am glad it turned out with a cute ending.[​IMG]

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Sweet! Lucky chickies to have a momma to brave the storm.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Love those happy endings! Nieves sounds like a very good momma to her chicks!! [​IMG]

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:lol It was kinda scary though. The hale* was treacherous. I just showered and I noticed pieces of ice were in my hair.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mommy hens will risk life and limb for their chicks. I think it's Hail. [​IMG]

8. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:Thats why I put the * because I wasn't sure

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Wow! I woulda been a wreck!!!Glad everyone was alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by