the day we put barries over our brooders...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by charliesgirl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    at the feed store where i work we ended up having to put mesh on top of the brooders because the little kids werent being monitored by their parents. they would walk right up to the brooder and grab the poor little chickens and the chicks would try get away and the kids held on tighter to them so they couldnt... lets just say we had too many poor chicks that we found smothered or close to being done that we just said no more petting chicks. there was one incident where a woman brought in 5 children and they were running around screaming cuz they were so excited about the chicks. she was standing next to a little boy who was about 7 or 8 and he was holding a duckling. the little ducky wriggled just enough to fall all the way to the ground from his hand and he yell "oh no mommy, he is getting away!!" and the next thing i see is this little boy go STOMP and this womans jaw drops. she picks up the dead chick and puts it back in the brooder, gets all of her kids together, walks over to me and angrily says, "you know there's a dead duck in that bin!?! if that died from being sick or its infected with something and my babies get sick im suing your store for everything it has!!!" i walked over to the bin and picked the poor thing up. i said to her "this poor thing looks like it was squished or stepped on, look at what all the pressure did to his butt, and the poor thing is still breathing, oh the poor thing, we cant let him suffer..." and i walked away. i heard from my cashiers that she came up fuming and i got a complaint about being a jerk to customer.... that was the day we put netting over our brooders

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That is sooo sad.. Our rural king ended up putting their chicks right were the managers stood.. I can only imagine for the same reason.. [​IMG]

3. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    That is so sad.

It irks me to know end when kids are allowed to get away with things. Especially by their parents / guardians.

At least they should be safe now.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

hemicuda,
    My guts twisted reading your story. I think you controlled yourself better than I would have. Here in Washington animal cruelty is considered abuse, and is a felony.

Imp

5. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    You handled it better than me ~ I would have been fired.

6. charliesgirl

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    whats sad is that if the mother would have come over to me and explained what had happend and apologized it would be different, she might still be allowed back in the store. what really get me is the fact that she covered it up and lied about it in front of her kids!! what is she thinking?! she just showed her kids that if you do something wrong just blame it on something else and lie about it!!! it's pathetic! but the manager caught her on her way out and let her know that because of her actions that were being viewed on video tape at that very moment she is no longer allowed in the store, nor is the boy who did that horrible thing to that poor duck.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So glad the manager supported you. Right is Right!

Imp

8. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    It's a shame that some people don't want to take responsibilty for their actions! She was probably afraid that she would have to pay for the duckling.[​IMG]:rant:mad::rant

9. charliesgirl

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    which is sad, i would have felt horrible if my child did that! just to put it lightly he would get to go to see the chicks but no touching what so ever. the poor little ducks we sell are only 2.50. if i had been in the situation i would have asked for the manager and told him what happened, make my son apologize, pay them for the chick and have the son work off the money for it.

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I would kick out this b*tch and her rotten kids from the store and advice her to never come back or I'd call a cops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by