The difference between a balck Orpington and a black Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scoopy82, Aug 10, 2012.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Songster

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Well clever me hatched black orpingtons and australorps together and while i tried to keep track of what hatched out of which egg, they did all kind of look the same. I'm now left with one black roo that I am 90% sure is an Orpington, I was hoping someone could tell me any distinguishing features of either breed that could indicate for sure if this boy is an Orp or a Lorp. I can take a photo of him if that would help.
    From what I have found - the Lorp boys all developed they're combs very early while the Orps are a bit slower, this boy was quite slow. And he is a very hefty looking man, the lorps are a little less plump looking. The only thing that makes me wonder is I think the Orps have rather corse heads and this boy is rather pretty in my books. Perhaps I will get a photo in the morning so others can judge for themselves.
    Any ideas???

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a pic would help, as I dont know if a black orp would still have the white legs that a buff orp has

3. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    A black orp has black legs and the bottoms of their feet are white. I can always tell mine from a distance when she walks around flashing those white foot bottoms with every step!!

4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    australorp

[​IMG]

orpington

[​IMG]

the biggest difference i see is in the tail and the roundness(fluffiness) of the breeds

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Problem with the above picture is that the Orpington shown is of the UK standard. American types don't have fluff that far down. Post a picture of your guy and we'll tell you which he is. I don't know my mutts or my Marans but Orps, I can pretty much pick out. ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    From what I have seen and I have a Splash Orp Cockerel 19 weeks is that they dont have the long arching tail feathers like a lot of breeds of roo do. Mine is 50% english 50% american bloodlines. And he is large and roundish. Pic is in "My Breeds" on my profile

7. scoopy82

scoopy82 Songster

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    My boy (having trouble uploading photo's):

[​IMG]

8. scoopy82

scoopy82 Songster

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Another (its my computer with the problem, not the forum):
    [​IMG]

9. scoopy82

scoopy82 Songster

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    One more:

[​IMG]

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Looks like an Orp to me. Young cockerel.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: