The difference between muscovies and other ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So, my friend just slaughtered some rouen ducks. And to tell you truth, they were really gross!!! So I now might be selling my two female rouen ducklings I got to breed for meat. So I dont need to feed so many. Well, my friend is willing to give me her muscovy pair, but I need to get rid of two of the food eating monsters first. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about muscovys? Thanks!

(will post pics of the pair soon)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Muscovies will eat twice as much as the Rouens you have now.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh! Well, nevermind. My mom just said I cant get them [​IMG]

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Really? I have a pen of 12 Muscovys and a pen of 10 Cayugas and the Cayugas eat WAY more food.. My muscovys dont eat too much except when they are growing..

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Really? I have a pen of 12 Muscovys and a pen of 10 Cayugas and the Cayugas eat WAY more food.. My muscovys dont eat too much except when they are growing..

My Muscovy's don't eat very much feed either... I find that they are much better foragers and get most of their food outside.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

My Muscovy's don't eat very much feed either... I find that they are much better foragers and get most of their food outside.

I was surprised at how little my Muscovy eat. I was thinking of posting something about it. They rarely even eat when I put feed out in the morning after having nothing all night. I was getting concerned but its good to know that others don't eat much. My runners ate TONS more than my Muscovy.

7. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    We ended up naming our Cayuga Kobayashi after the Hot Dog eating champ. The other option was Greedy Guts.

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Ok ok ok! Sheesh! [​IMG]
    I was always told this when I weighing the Cons of having Muscovys.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    ok, so my problem is: i have 11 ducks now (4 welsh harlequin ducklings, 2 rouen ducklings, 2 rouen adults, and three adult khakis) if i take this pair will they eat so much that all 13 of them will eat me out of feed? these two are fully feathered out, and like a few months old. just so you know. and they will free range during the day.

my 2 rouens, and three khakis havent eaten for two days becuz they free range, i offer them food all the time, but they dont eat it.

10. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have 4 adult sized muscovies. Two are small females and two are large males. I seriously doubt any of mine eat a cup of pellets each per day. I know my two pekin drakes ate more than my 4 muscovies combined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by