The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

Discussion in 'Geese' started by animaladdictions, Jan 30, 2012.

1. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    So it seems there's some confusion about smooth breasted Sebs.....well, for me at least. :) I was always under the impression that "smooth breasted" was a literal term and meant a curly feathered bird with straight feathers on the breast. Several people I've talked to however, describe what looks to me to be a "normal" feathered goose (usually having a few longer feathers in spots) as being "smooth breasted". So I'm calling on all you pros out there to set me straight on this....what is "smooth breasted"? Thanks!!!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Smoothes can have limited longer curls, and more people should keep some in their breeding flocks to help with wing tips and other issues when breeding.

1 person likes this.
  3. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    How do you achieve show quality birds if you breed with "regular" feathered Sebs? I guess what I'm trying to say is, won't you end up with some offspring having long curls and some having none at all? I agree the most important thing to breed for is good health, I just wouldn't want my future customers to be unhappy if they buy a gosling and it grows up to look like a normal feathered goose. I guess I'd just advertise as having smooth birds in my breeding program? My goal is to have birds that look like Cottage Rose's breeders. She has such beautiful Sebs!

4. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota

Cottage Rose uses smooth breeders :)

1 person likes this.
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yep she sure does, we are getting a new goose and gander from her. The goose is a smooth and lovely.

1 person likes this.
  6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

[​IMG]

7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    [​IMG]

8. flaming007

flaming007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Can you get a smooth breasted by mating curly breasted on curly breasted birds?

9. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Curly x Curly should give 100% Curly. In most cases Curly breasted have a pair of Curled genes though I have seen a bird that was genetically a Smooth breasted but did have a little curling on the breast.

10. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I crossed Sebastopols X Pomeranian(saddleback) and got one offspring that is curly breasted, the other five are smooth breasted. I didn't think that was possible and sure is a surprise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by