The DOCTOR who lives next door just asked me

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JessicaGrant, Aug 31, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    how we can get eggs without a rooster. I hope I don't end up with her if I need to go to the ER...at least not for reproductive issues! LOL!

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    LOL.... whenever I get that question.. I tell them.. we have eggs without sperm... and response.. "oh yea, I guess so"

come to think of it is there any species out there that doesnt have some sort of egg released even without a male counterpart?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I've read that with some mammals, cats come to mind, the females don't release an egg from the ovary until after, er, The Act. I don't know whether this is TRUE, but you see it written in various places.

Pat

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    There's a bunch that don't release eggs unless there is a male present and bunches more that don't reproduce by egg at all! [​IMG]

:eek: But a DOCTOR?!?!?!?!?!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Um, my own doc, brilliant woman that she is, sort of asked me the same thing. [​IMG]

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OMG!!! That is hilarious....and sad....all that education and yet lack of knowledge.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It does sound funny, especially coming from a doctor but people doctors don't learn about animals in med school (for the most part). If they've never been around chickens or people with chickens before it's not a surprise that she didn't know.

There's sure a ton of stuff in life that I don't know about because I've never been exposed to it and haven't thought to ask the questions yet.

It's surprising though, how many people ask that question.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

We always called them "educated idiots"! [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL

Gotta remember that just because someone is a doctor, with a million dollar tuition bill that they at one time had to fork over if they didn't go the military route, and with dozen years of eduction, doesn't mean they are a know it all or know things outside their profession. [​IMG] They are just trained for what they do and were good at test taking to get where they were. I know plenty of pre meds and kids going to med school in my classes who know the exams but outside of studies can be a bit lacking.

10. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Good happy ending doctor/chicken story to share. My husbands doctor said he would like some chickens when my hubby was telling him that we had some now. A few days later Dh had to go back to the doc and I sent him with a box of 6 young hens and a partial bag of feed. Now the doctors wife is hooked on the chickens ( don't worry .... he had said they had a place to keep some if they ever got any) and she has turned them all into pets! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by