the dog got my chicken... what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brimccoy, Jan 22, 2015.

1. brimccoy

brimccoy New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    My new dog got a hold of my chicken and now she is acting very lethargic and won't open her eyes very long or hold up her head.im thinking I should put her out of her misery. But how should i?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Have you looked her over for wounds or injuries? Is she limping? How long has it been since your dog got her?

If this was today, barring any kind of mortal injury, she could be in shock. I would bring her inside, either in a dog crate or a basket with towels or something, and let her rest somewhere warm and dark. Sometimes, they just need to shake things off.

If you find any wounds on her, please let us know and we can help you with that, too.

So sorry to hear about your attack. :( How did it happen?

MrsB

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are there big wounds, broken bones/back?
    Describe the injuries. It could recover.
    To dispatch, just snap the neck or chop the head off.

4. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    what they said she could just be sore or shocked and snap out of it, If I was in a monsters mouth getting roughed up and tossed around I would probably need a couple days to walk it off ;)

5. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    She may be in shock. My girl was like that after my dog got her. She lived. I kept her warm, tube fed her, used a syringe to give water and took care of her wounds.
    mg

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I agree with the above that she may just be in shock. My aunt had a hen get pretty tore up by a dog, but with some time in the house and a little tlc she pulled through. I'd give her a little time to determine if she is for certain suffering.

7. brimccoy

brimccoy New Egg

Jul 23, 2014

Looks like there is bruising on her neck. No blood. She started clucking. I am gonna bring her in and wrap her. Hopefully she will recover. THANK YOU!

1 person likes this.
  8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Of course! We want your mama to heal!

I'd suggest getting a heating pad(on a low-med setting) or something (water bottle with warm water) and putting it under or near her, so she can nestle down and sleep it off. :)

The bruising should go away on it's own. As long as the skin isn't broken and she appears to be all in one piece, I'd wager she'll make a great recovery.

I'd offer some boiled, chopped up egg or some other high-protein snack (meal worms or even well-drained, cooked ground beef) to help her tissue injuries heal.

Keep us updated on her progress!

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Eggs are very nutritious and while the animal protein is high quality, they aren't high in protein. They're about 13% protein.

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Look at that! I just Googled it... Turns out they're 6g of protein for a large egg. I thought it was WAY more than that.

I happily stand corrected... but still encourage feeding boiled or scrambled eggs to your chickens. :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by