The Dog is a Guest for Dinner - 9400 Years ago

Wels- is there a way we can install a "LIKE" button here!!!
thumbsup.gif

Sillychicken- The equine that had one large hoof, and was about the size of the Tarpan and Przewalski's Horse, which are the type that would one day become the domestic horse evolved here and the horse then went back across the land bridge to asia and the russia steppes.
It then died out here, probably from climate change and being hunted by humans..

Now if my dogs had their way, they would be sitting at the dinner table eating with us. My dog is so smart, I can put a plastic spoon with peanut butter on it, and she will grab the handle
off of a high perch (such as a t.v. tray), and on a pre-arranged signal, letting her know its okay... She will carefully pick it up in her mouth, and place it on the ground and then hold it down with her
paw and lick it clean. She did this on her own once, and caught me off guard, on how smart she is and her problem solving skills.

They say that if dogs ever get opposable digits, we won't be driving them anymore, and they WILL learn how to use the can opener!!!

When our Chow dog begs for dinner, we always lovingly remind her how Chows were invited to dinner over in China.....

In my opinion, dogs make far better animals than horses when food is scarce. They can hunt their own food and survive on "trash" by scavenging.
Horses just plain eat a lot, and if grass is scarce (winter etc.) seems like they would be harder to keep up until the weather got better. Maybe dogs can't carry humans on their back, but hey, if the animal is walking maybe the humans should be too
wink.png

Oh I don't know. The little scrubby horses in the third world also survive on nothing, LOL. And I think they are more like primitive horses. No 'baby doll heads' and big bodies and tiny feet seen there.

They're 13, 14 hands, very light little frames, light bone, little skinny front legs both coming out of one hole in a very narrow little chest, they get their little bodies worked to death every day, and they generally were nibbling on my lawn when I got up in the morning, LOL.

They knew I would not chase them away, smart little guys. In the third world there is no such thing as a 'pasture' (those horses would probably have a heart attack if they saw one), they wander around loose when not working and eat whatever little bits of weeds and grass they can find here and there. Many are born, live and die without leaving the big cities.

Usually they had their little saddles and bridles on already at 6 am...I doubt some of them ever gotten them taken OFF. Alfalfa? Corn? Oats? What are those?

Tough little guys, could survive a whole lot, on just about nothing.

Horse evolution is being rewritten in the last few years...I am not so sure that the old scenario of the migration (and when it occured) still holds up.

Last edited:
In the Pacific Island there was type of dog that was specifically bred and raised to be food.
It was called a Poi dog, its now extinct, but was kept up into 1778 and past that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Poi_Dog
This is an interesting article start on page 33, it shows drawings of Poi dogs from throughout the Pacific Islands.
http://books.google.com/books?id=HTZRRwjwP3AC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is another interesting website that touches on Poi dogs
http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/HAWAIIAN_POI_DOG.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom