The Dog Visitor

chickchick8

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
North Carolina
So three years ago this dog showed up at my house. No tags, no id. Skinny as a rail and pretty rough looking, had sutures still intact in a scarred over tail nub. Not neutered of course. Extremely sweet and loving, he instantly fit right in with my family and our dogs. He didn't even give the birds a hard time. He stuck right to our sides, never offered to run off, just sweet as sugar and so laid back. We took him in and started fishing around to see if anyone was missing him in the area. Three days later with no leads to go on, we were pretty sure he was ours for the duration. I dunno, maybe we jumped the gun, but we really fell in love with him and he was SO good with the elderly members of our household that it seemed like he'd grown up here.

Anyways. a couple days later some people showed up at our neighbors looking for the dog. And of course he went back home with his rightful owners. It was heartbreaking to say the least. Got much too attached, way too quickly.

Now every couple months he runs off again and makes his way back over here-apparently when he's off leash or someone opens the door and doesn't pay attention. He has to cross a very busy road to get here (which is why he's minus a tail(old sutures) and suffered a pelvic injury). Whenever he's here he follows us around, comes when he's called, never runs off. We let him in the house, treat him just like family. (No, I don't feed or treat him while he's here.) And believe me, I've tried the hard nose approach of chasing him away and yelling, etc- it doesn't work. Besides, I really don't want to see him HBC again, he may not be as lucky next time.

He was here a couple months ago and by that time had been neutered. He had gained a little weight too. Sadly, the husband was recently killed in an accident. Young family, just a sad situation.

Today he showed up at the house again. First time since his owner passed. Same old pup,sweet as ever, but nothing but ribs. (He has a huge build, he could easily weigh 25-30 lbs more). We tried calling the number on his collar a couple times- no answer. So we loaded him up and took him home. He jumped out and started running around. Started to take off again, no one called him back, no one payed attention. Finally one of the little kids started yelling at him and he came back closer. As we were leaving the owner was pulling in after coming over here to get him. (She knows he comes here.)

Now what I don't understand is why have a dog if you aren't willing to A) FEED IT(and from the looks of things they definitely have the $$$ to do that) B)Keep it safe and at home and C)Interact with him or her as part of the family in some way shape or form so that it has a reason to stay home.

I guess maybe I'm making a lot of presumptions and sound a little bitter. And maybe I am. I just hate having to send him back every time he comes over here. But I can't bring myself to ignore him either. I dunno. Bah.

Ugh. I'm just bummed out and had to vent I guess. Thanks for taking the time to read my silly story.

That's a tough situation. Perhaps try talking to them and ask if they would be willing to adopt you the dog? I'm sure there are ways that you can ask that would be nonchalant yet meaningful. My other suggestion is to start calling animal control when he gets loose and have him picked up. A few times of that and they may be willing to give up the dog after all.

That's a tough situation. Perhaps try talking to them and ask if they would be willing to adopt you the dog? I'm sure there are ways that you can ask that would be nonchalant yet meaningful. My other suggestion is to start calling animal control when he gets loose and have him picked up. A few times of that and they may be willing to give up the dog after all.

Since he was the husband's dog I get the feeling she's not very interested in giving him up. And I'm not good at being nonchalant anyway. People skills have never been my strong suit.

The thing about calling AC is he isn't tagged for rabies. And in this county, if your dog is picked up without proof of vaccination, euthanasia is pretty much a given. :\

Thanks for your advice. I know it's kind of a no win situation. Just makes me sad sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom