The dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Arizona Raider, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Arizona Raider

Arizona Raider Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    [​IMG] One year after we got our Rohad Island Reds our two dogs (Doja & Ginger) got out Ginger managed to get one killed it instantly one shake and it was a gonner. Doja however just got ones leg but a few weeks later it died of gang green. My dad yelled at them and beat Ginger with the one she killed she hasent killed a full grown chicken scince. However Ginger did get into my room were we were keeping the baby chicks we had and killed them all one at a time we had only one sourvior. she hasent done it agian luckly [​IMG]

2. duniganb357

duniganb357 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    middle tennesee
    Oh no! im so sorry for you! My dogs killed my all 6 of my 2 yr. old chickens. its so sad when something you love dies. to prevent it from happening i usally put up my chickens before i let them out. [​IMG] [​IMG] i miss my chickens.

3. Arizona Raider

Jun 25, 2011
    so do we but one of my neice and nephews friends were here and let them out.[​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    any training prior to the incident or were you just keeping them separate?

5. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I had three dogs. Now I have two. Last fall I caught one of my dogs inside my pen while my chickens were free ranging. The dog was eating eggs. I tried to teach her it was not acceptable. The training didn't work. I tried keeping her in another dog pen, she was an escape artist. I put her on a chain, she managed to slip every collar I tried. She would get loose and head for my chicken pen, usually when I wasn't home. She reached a point where she would jump at my hen when she was laying. My hen ran off (took me 6 months to catch her). This dog could not be trained from stealing eggs, could not be confined. I tried to find her a home, but since I live in a rural area, no one wanted an egg stealing dog.

I had no choice, she died of lead poisoning from a .357 magnum.

One of my other dogs chased my hen when she came out of hiding with her biddies. My dog was still a puppy and just playing. I told her she was a bad dog, and even showed her one of the biddies and told her no. She got the message. She still lives here.

I love all my critters, but if one decides not to follow the rules, and cant be trained, they will not be welcome.

6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    My two dogs killed a chicken that escaped from the pen one day. They tag-teamed her and pack mentality kicked in. I could not control two 90 lb labs so I was punching and kicking them as hard as I could, but they completely ignored me. I was by the coop by myself while my mom was mowing the lawn and my brother was blowing off the deck. No one heard me screaming until it was too late. After the incident, we moved the coop to the back yard (we live in the woods, so the dogs never go back there) If we are going anywhere near the coop, the dogs are locked in the house.

Our older dog went after the goats when we first got them. After she got slammed in the ribs by our one goat(they have horns) she would not even look at them. The other one has not been given the chance to get near them.

7. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    I had the same thing happen with my dog [​IMG] I was so angry at him. It's like something you love killed something you love. I had him since he was just a young pup, and loved him very much. But, I had to get rid of him. It was either him or the chickens. Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

8. Arizona Raider

Jun 25, 2011
    we did keep them separated but my dad thought Ginger the blue healer wouldent bother them she did. my mom thinks it was out of jelousy.

9. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    My dogs will get chicks but not adult birds. They gaurd the big birds but for some reason will kill chicks.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:yeah [​IMG] .... no training... not the dog's fault. You want a good dog which you can reasonably thought to be safe around chickens you need to put in plenty of time in training.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by