The drake that thinks he is a chicken

KarateHorse

Chirping
Oct 13, 2016
NC
Hello everyone. I have a pekin drake named Bill. Bill was raised with chickens. When Bill came of age and was ready to breed there were no female ducks so he started trying to breed hens. We made a seperate pen just for ducks. Bill now lives in the pen with 6 other female ducks. The females are coming of age and laying down in front of him but he won't breed them. Bill still trys to breed hens but won't breed the other female ducks. The females chase Bill around bobbing their heads then they lay down for Bill but he refuses to breed a duck. Will Bill ever relise he is a duck and start breeding the females or will he forever try to breed chicken hens?

He probably imprinted on the chickens, therefore he probably actually believes he IS a chicken. Maybe give him zero access to the chickens and see if nature takes over. If he still has chicken hens available, of course that's what he'll choose. Once he starts breeding ducks, then see about mixing chickens into his life again. Basically narrow down his options. Rather, don't give him options.

He probably imprinted on the chickens, therefore he probably actually believes he IS a chicken. Maybe give him zero access to the chickens and see if nature takes over. If he still has chicken hens available, of course that's what he'll choose. Once he starts breeding ducks, then see about mixing chickens into his life again. Basically narrow down his options. Rather, don't give him options.

He doesn't have access to the chickens anymore.

I had always heard that it was risky raising them together. They get confused. I think the best way is to raise ducks separate from chickens and only later intermingle them once they learn their roles already. I would give him time with the girls and maybe something will click and he will get the idea. Just do not give up.

I had always heard that it was risky raising them together. They get confused. I think the best way is to raise ducks separate from chickens and only later intermingle them once they learn their roles already. I would give him time with the girls and maybe something will click and he will get the idea. Just do not give up. 

Exactly. I keep my chickens and ducks together, but they were integrated AFTER they already knew who was a duck and who was a chicken. Although I don't have any drakes or roosters, so for me it doesn't matter too much.

Oh those boys are just trouble......glad my drake is meek and not overbearing....he is ruled by my hen haha. We just got him 3 more female ducklings that he will meet eventually but I am not worried about his aggression, just his acceptance of them to flock, he took a bit of time before he accepted the last duck we brought in. It fortunately was not physically vicious, just would try to chase them away like she was outsider for while.

I won't give up its just that we want to sell the hatching eggs but if Bill won't breed they won't be hatching eggs and then the ducks won't be making enough money to pay for their feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom