The dreaded chicken wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pnkbrry24, Jun 30, 2011.

1. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    So I live in the middle of a desert type area with few trees, and have never in my life seen a racoon here.
    Do you think chicken wire would be enough for the run. I also have two hens who free range all day and put them selves to sleep at night, and no racoons have come.
    The only predator I have seen here are vulchers.

Thanks in advance.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If your coop is entirely secure for them at night and you don't mind free ranging them during the day, then chicken wire would be fine.

I don't even use chicken wire! I use cheap plastic deer netting (because I needed to fence off about 1/2 acre).

I don't have any stray dog problems or other critters that seem interested in figuring out how to get inside the fenced area.

And some of my chickens fly over the fence and free range a bit on the other side before hopping back.

It's up to you as to what you're willing to put up with.

[​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Give it a whirl. See what happens!

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be just fine but I would be sure to watch for coyoye and fox predators as well as snakes going after eggs & chicks. The vultures should leave the chickens alone as they don't hunt like a raptor and when on the ground can be easily outrun by a chicken. Sounds like your bigger issue is shade and water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by