The dry bed I made for my ducklings

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Perhaps some of you experienced duck keepers already do this, but I thought I was cool for thinking of this myself. I'm brooding 10 new Khaki Campbells in a plastic bin on straw. Of course they make their floor so wet, I change them into a dry bin with fresh straw 2-3 times a day. There are 3 different bins I can keep in rotating use, so there's always a clean dry bin ready to use.

I was concerned that they wouldn't have a dry place to sleep so I put some straw in a plastic shoe box & placed it right under the heat lamp. Now the dampness on the floor doesn't seep up into this bed, and it gives them a drier place to snuggle into and sleep.

I am loving my new birdie babies!

I did the rotating bin thing too but didn't think of the shoe box idea. I also didn't use straw, but pine shavings. I have two khaki campbells coming soon and will try it with them! Thanks for sharing your idea.
smile.png

I'm using straw because that's what I already have on hand. Whatever I use had better be cheap, because it must be changed so often. I'm already putting them outside in the sun whenever I'm home, so they can make their mess in the grass. Right now they're under the wire top to a guinea pig cage, right on the grass. I have bigger bottomless pens to use as they grow.

I'm also starting to raise one end of the plastic bin an inch or two, so the spilled water stays at the lower end.

It's nighttime now, and they're all cuddled together in their shoebox bunk bed, dreaming little duckling dreams...

Back
Top Bottom