The duck and goose yard and house (PICS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by raindrop, May 19, 2008.

1. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    The babies have been in their new enclosure at night and during the day when I'm not home for 3 days now. All is working well, they have great respect for the fence (Premier Permanet) and seeing the mess that is developing, I will love to being able to move it every month or so.

Front view
    [​IMG]

House (a 3rd side will be added before winter). I'm also going to put up at least an 18" board on the bottom across the front so I can keep adding clean straw to the top and make some good compost.
    Only the ducks ever use it.
    [​IMG]

Back of yard and "gate." In the top right of the picture you can see where the power source comes down, we kept everything up out of 2-year old reach.
    [​IMG]

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am trying to figure out how to make a set up for my new baby ducks. Thank you for sharing, it looks good!

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    As long as you don't have owls... I have lost a few ducks and half grown turkeys to a great horned. Now my pens are all covered.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Very nice! I love the house, I might just steal that idea!

Where do ou get that roofing - does it have a special name? I am building a call duck house today, but I forgot to buy roofing.

We have owls and hawks but all my ducklings and goslings made it without covers. They are too big now.

My netting should be here this week for the aviary. Call ducks and ornamentals will definately be covered here!

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:It is the corregated plastic from Home Depot. Relatively expensive, but our salvaged metal siding has a few small holes and I wanted to keep the rain out.

We have barn owls, and I saw a Great Horned once a few years ago, but nothing recently. Will keep that in mind, thanks.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have lost goslings and ducklings to great horned owls... but look at your setup. The netting wouldn't really allow a bird of pray to swoop down at a normal angle. They'd literally have to drop straight down from the sky, which birds of pray just don't do.

Nice setup! I love my netting. It's so useful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by