1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Duck Convert

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kathy farms, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kathy farms

Kathy farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Cape Coast
    In our drive to keeping ducks, we had friends, partners, children among others who had to be convinced about our passion. The question now is, how do we get new people to embrace DUCKNESS, what do we tell them? How do we make converts?!!!

2. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    I've noticed people who are around fowl like chickens or geese generally develop a distaste for them. Chickens have some horrible, brutal habits, including blood lust, and geese can be territorial and bite humans. I hate chickens but have a tick problem that wild geese didn't take care of. Ducks fit the bill. When people realize that ducks eat mosquitos and ticks and flies their opinion generally changes....especally in areas where we have fatal and debiltating diseases transmitted by insects.

Ducks are milder and sweeter and like all babies are best introduced as babies. Give someone a cloth, plop a baby duck in their hands...it's hard to resist.

3. Kathy farms

Kathy farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Cape Coast
    I think some people simply don't like them because they are messy. A lot of poop to deal with. However when people ask me why ducks but not chicken, I also answer why not ducks? Once i explain to them they are waterfowl and therefore characteristically different from chicken so must not be seen in that light it makes sense to them (dealing with poop). Interestingly, when you observe them grown they are indeed hard to resist.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Tell them ducks love slugs! And tell anyone that is thinking about getting ducklings that starting with a few will help to keep them from getting overwhelmed. They also need to make sure that the ducks have PLENTY of room in their "duck house". The more room they have, they easier they are to keep clean.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by