The Duck Im Adopting Boy or Girl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GAChknGirl, Oct 7, 2009.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    This duck is at animal control im going ot get him tomorrow do you know what breed he or she is? Boy or Girl?

[​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't really know, but am going to vote muscovy/blue swede mix and female... that's all I can think of... who else?

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Now that's what we call a Heinz duck - 57 varieties of duck went into creating that one.

We'll need a profile of the tush to look for the tale-tell drake feather.

4. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    That looks alot like my latest hatch of muscovies [​IMG] pretty much identical in fact ..... will post a pic tomorrow [​IMG] My ducklings are still half dressed at the moment but these colours are same.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Duckie is a muscovey or muscovey cross...female...I see not drake feather on the tail. what a wonderful thing for you to do...adopting that precious duckie.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    Quote:Scovies dont have drake feathers on their tails. Drakes have bigger feet & are pretty much double the size of the females, and they usually have a tell tale sign of a red bump above the base of the bill as the caruncles are starting to form.

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I was going to say muscovy male becuase of the size of those footsies! I mean GEEZ! but then the lack of carnucles around the eye and face lead me to want to say female. Guess we'll just have to wait for better pictures.

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    It's a muscovy. I'm not sure on gender. I tell my young ones apart by size. The males really are huge! The females are more the size of regular ducks.

You will really like muscovies. They have sweet, silly personalities. They don't quack, so you will hardly ever hear them. I just love mine!

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It does look like a scovy. I have 2 females and I love them to bits. Lucky you.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Scovy...you would have to listen to it to know the gender. Boys hiss. The feet do kind of say "boy" though. If it grows in to them it is going to be huge! LOL

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by