The Duckies Like the Greens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Mar 20, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about a video of the new kids eating their greens?

The greens are in the bowl towards the top of the screen, grit below, water to the left.

My camera really doesn't like the red heat lamp. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I love the mayham that ensues when greens are fed! To them, (at least mine), it's the best thing in the world other than swimming! [​IMG]

4. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

How cute! How often can they get greens? Ours have now tossed, stomped, and finally eaten their first greens. The brooder looks like a lettuce massacre ...all over the walls. (Just make sure you get the remains all out shortly afterward!)Yeah, this is their new love. Hahahaha!

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! Beats me. I'm just a beginner blundering along.

I searched here at BYC and got answers to that question that were all over the map. Our quackers will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I've been giving them a little bit (I started with about a heaping tablespoon for all 12 of them) of Romaine lettuce for about 3 days. I figured that small an amount wouldn't shock their little systems to badly.

I do put it in a food chopper and chop it up until it's almost mush. I than put it in a small bowl. They clean it up themselves with no mess. They love it and, as you can see seem to be thriving. Getting bigger and stronger every day. I don't argue with success.

6. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I also use a food processor. It makes perfect tiny pieces! I have been floating the greens in water so they can dabble. So far I am really loving having ducklings.

7. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.Went searching and found some GREAT sticky topics (listed under "Ducks" and located right about the first active thread). One has lots of info on duckling/duck diet and acceptable foods list. It's great! Ty to BYC!!!! [​IMG]

8. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I've been cutting up kale and romaine lettuce and feeding our 4 about a cup twice a day. Of course - not all of it gets eaten, it gets smooshed and pooped on before it's all eaten. I've also cut up some strawberries into tiny pieces.. OMG. They love that! I've only given them that every few days cuz I don't want to do too much.

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    They are so cute! 6 days left until mine hatch[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by