The Dumb Question Of The Day About Ceramic Eggs....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Jul 15, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Where can I get some of those ceramic eggs you put in the nest boxes?? I know this is a dumb question, but I live in a very small town and I have never seen them around here.

Thanks....Leyla [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Ebay! Or maybe a craft store. My feed store carries them too.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If walmart doesn't have them in their craft dept., craft stores like Ben Franklin, Michael's, Hobby Lobby usually do. Our local farmer's co-op sells them too.
    Honestly though, a cheap pack of golfballs will work just as well if you what you are looking for is fake eggs for the nestboxes.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I got mine from eBay - but they're on Amazon, too. Just logon, order them and they appear at your doorstep in a couple days. :)

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I never put anything in my nest boxes. They just figured it out. Why spend the money?

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:I like to leave a fake as the "nest egg". Some hens will look for another laying spot if all of the eggs disapear.

7. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Cracker Barrel, the resturant does sell ceramic and glass eggs, and are available in brown and white. I think they are about 2 bucks a piece though, so maybe too expensive.

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    You can pretty much use anything round that is the size of a chicken egg. It doesn't have to be a ceramic egg.

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I bought a bag of colorful plastic easter eggs for 99 cents and still have a few of those out in the nest boxes. I move them around from time to time. If I put two in one nest box, then that's the box that EVERYONE lays in that day.

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    If you have a craft store or craft section in your Walmart, you can usually get wooden eggs as well. They say golf balls work too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by