The EEEWWWW factor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissJames, Jan 19, 2009.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    I really want some goats,and maybe pigs and sheep.I am loving my chickens.Whenever I mention it to family or friends they start with Eeewwwww.Goats are mean.Goats are smelly.Goats are a lot of trouble.Goats eat everything.
    My husband is afraid they will be a lot of work .
    Well,I still want goats,mini,dairy goats.I'm partial to the long ears of the Nubian's.
    I'm almost 51 and it's now or never.
    Can anyone help me with some comebacks?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    I cant wait to hear the answer to your questions because I have been thinking about some dairy goats this spring myself. And would like to know how much work they are myself thanks for asking.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Here's you a comeback (although it's a little immature):

SO DO YOU! [​IMG]

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

hope someone has good answers I have been trying for more then 10 years to get some mini milkers and Dh pitches a fit every time I mention them...

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Hmm...

Goats AREN'T mean! They're sweet! Loving! Annoyingly so, much of the time. Take a dog and make it goofy as all get out, and that's a tame goat.

They really don't smell that much. Does are nearly odorless. Bucks, esp Nubian and other large breeds, only stink when they're in rut. Nigi bucks and Pygmy bucks, this is pretty much year round. My chickens far out-stink my goats.

They CAN be a lot of trouble when they want to...escape artists, sudden health issues...etc...but this is true of any animal. Even my finches, haha, and fish.

Goats DO eat everything you don't want them to eat. Case in point, landscaping. I think this is the primary reason they are escape artists - to eat your rose bushes! Better wrap your tree trunks in their pen...too.

A lot of work? Not so much, esp if you only have a few. I have nearly 30, and basic daily chores take about 30 mins total - but this also includes a mini donk and 3 horses and 20 chickens. The fewer you have, the less work it is. Of course, you can MAKE it a lot of work...but we're good at streamlining.

The payoff? A great pet. Milk if you do dairy. Adorable babies that are hours of entertainment...the pro's outweigh the con's in my opinion.

Best of luck!! I think goats are a great retirement hobby! Not saying you're there yet...but they're fairly easy to manage unlike larger livestock, and registered herds can easily pay for themselves with kid sales.

6. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Maybe we should start a support group!
    Be brave! Go forth and milk!

7. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Hmm...

Goats AREN'T mean! They're sweet! Loving! Annoyingly so, much of the time. Take a dog and make it goofy as all get out, and that's a tame goat.

They really don't smell that much. Does are nearly odorless. Bucks, esp Nubian and other large breeds, only stink when they're in rut. Nigi bucks and Pygmy bucks, this is pretty much year round. My chickens far out-stink my goats.

They CAN be a lot of trouble when they want to...escape artists, sudden health issues...etc...but this is true of any animal. Even my finches, haha, and fish.

Goats DO eat everything you don't want them to eat. Case in point, landscaping. I think this is the primary reason they are escape artists - to eat your rose bushes! Better wrap your tree trunks in their pen...too.

A lot of work? Not so much, esp if you only have a few. I have nearly 30, and basic daily chores take about 30 mins total - but this also includes a mini donk and 3 horses and 20 chickens. The fewer you have, the less work it is. Of course, you can MAKE it a lot of work...but we're good at streamlining.

The payoff? A great pet. Milk if you do dairy. Adorable babies that are hours of entertainment...the pro's outweigh the con's in my opinion.

Best of luck!! I think goats are a great retirement hobby! Not saying you're there yet...but they're fairly easy to manage unlike larger livestock, and registered herds can easily pay for themselves with kid sales.

I was on your website last night! You have a beautiful place.
    I've always been a stay at home mom.We adopted our youngest 4,so I have a 7 and 9yr old still at home.7 yr old has mental retardation and autism,so retiring is NOT an option LOL.
    But watching my elderly parents I realise this has always been my dream and I'm getting old.
    I think grandchildren would love it.

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I had the same problem with my husband/his family. I half expected some of it to be true, as i'd really only been around petting zoo goats.

My does do not smell at all. If you stick your nose in their fur and sniff, they still only smell remotely goaty. Bucks do smell, but if you don't mind farmyard smells it's not particularly bad. Certainly nothing like pigs or duck poop!

Mine don't bite, and they don't eat everything. Sure if you let them run loose they'd chew stuff up, but in their pen they cause no trouble at all. They are affectionate and gentle, and even when they are butting at each other they are quite careful not to run into me. They seem to enjoy being petted and talked to.

They are quiet. Even when they are bleating we can't hear it indoors, and outdoors it's far from intrusive. Nubians are louder though. They haven't tried to escape once.

They aren't much work at all if you have a secure pen for them. I feed the pregnant/milking does twice a day, and if you milk them you have to take that into consideration too. If you just have pet goats, then no they are not much work. Just check their water a couple of times a day, and throw them some hay if that's what you're feeding them. Rake out their pen a couple of times a week, and top their mineral up. I don't think they're any harder than chickens to keep, certainly nothing like taking care of a horse or dog. They're obviously more work when kidding.

9. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I was raised with dairy goats. Goats aren't mean! Goats are wonderful! Joyful, loving, smart, loyal, interesting ... I can't stand the smell of bucks and could never have one but the does don't smell at all. Ours were fairly finicky eaters and wouldn't eat anything if they thought it was dirty. Goat poo is nice small round pellets that dry quickly and have little smell. Goats aren't "trouble" although because they're smart and capable they are escape artists (if they do get out they come running when you call). To me the only drawbacks to goats are (1) I personally don't like the taste of goats milk, (2) dairy goats have to milked on time twice per day and if you're late the neighbours will likely be phoning to tell you to get out there and milk your goats as the girls will loudly proclaim their discomfort, and (3) they are prone to predation by dogs etc, which is horrible because you will LOVE your goats, so be sure to have very good predator fencing.

10. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I have only owned goats since last spring, but I have found them to be a complete joy! If you are just looking for a pet, wethers (castrated males) are great. One of mine is a wether and is a loving and entertaining fellow. Also, he does not smell at all. Mine are all Nubians as I enjoy their look and wanted a type of dairy goat. I have 2 bucks, 1 doe and 1 wether. Here are some pics of them from last summer:

Black Mesa Col. Jack O'Neill (Jack)-Buck

[​IMG]

Black Mesa Flashy Finnegan (Finn)-Buck

[​IMG]

Black Mesa Luna's Estrellita (Twinkle)-Doeling
    [​IMG]

Daniel-Wether (pictured with Twinkle)

[​IMG]

I am a very proud goaty mama!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by