1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the egg is moving!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tgblldog70, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I went to check on our 6 egggs we set on 1/25/2012, 2 of the eggs were set aside on 1/23, 3 on 1/24 and 1, 0n 1/25. So we have eggs from different dates in the clutch. and one of the eggs today was bouncing around we still have 2 more days before lock down should I turn off the auto egg turner and prep the inside for a hatch? I dont want it to get hurt if it starts to pip. This is our first time doing this, so any advice would be most helpful. Is the moving around a prelude to it hatching? TIA[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Better safe than sorry. Turn off the turner. You don't want a chick to pop out and get a tiny little leg caught in a turner.

3. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'd prepare for lockdown. You may have an early hatch.

4. tgblldog70

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    thankyou for the help but 6 days early???[​IMG]

5. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Oh wow. That is early.

Okay, if you can, watch it regularly. Once it pips you're going to have to make a decision. Is there anyplace you can put it once it pips? Someplace warm and humid?

I'd leave it til it pips. Then I'd move it. I'm not sure I'd chance sacrificing the whole bator for it when you do have other options.

I'm thinking a bowl of warm/hot water and a closed in environment. Another cooler or the microwave. I know, the microwave sounds crazy but it holds in the moisture and you can put in a warm pack or something to keep it warm in there.

Can you remove any of the trays in the turner? Then you could leave the others and put that egg on it's side in a place til it hatches.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. Provident Acres

Provident Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Not sure how the egg is "bouncing" around in an egg turner. [​IMG] What kind of incubator are you using and what's the temperature been at? Higher temps will have chicks hatch earlier than normal.

7. tgblldog70

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    we now have 3 that are moving possibly 4 the 3 that are moving are from 1/23 and 1/24 so it puts us at 3 and 4 days left hubby was mistaken by saying it still had 6 days left its 5 days left.

8. tgblldog70

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    the temp has been a steady 99.5

9. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'm thinking turn off the turner if there is a whole lot of movement.

Your temp is good! Have you had any high spikes? Well, not that that matters cuz it sounds like you are ready for lockdown. ;) Happy hatching!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. Provident Acres

Provident Acres Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Your temp is definitely good. :) If they were mine, I'd put them in lock down tomorrow unless you hear chicks peeping in the shell beforehand. This way your only locking them down a day early. I've had them hatch early on day 19 but it was a summer hatch and my temps were on the high side. Good luck with your early babies! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by