The egg laying call!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick-e-chick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    When the hens lay their egg, do they make that loud bak-bak-bak noise while the egg is coming out, or after they've layed it as a kind of 'announcement'?
    [​IMG]

2. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Mine do it a few minutes before they jump in the nest box, during laying, and a few minutes after. [​IMG] :| [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]...[​IMG]

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

ditto that

4. chick-e-chick

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    I wondered because I'm not usually around when they lay, today one of them was making the 'call' and I ran out to peep and she was off the nest and in the run and the egg was already in the nest. Thanks for your quick replies!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Some of my girls sing the chicken egg song when one of the other hens lays!

And, I've got one that sings the song that's a juvenile and not even close to laying. Sheesh! I know how you feel, you get so excited!

6. chick-e-chick

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Wynette, I'm glad you said that because when I went out the other day, one hen was in the run singing the 'egg song' and another hen pooped out of the house and there was a lovely warm newly layed egg in there and I wondered what was going on!!! It is exciting isn't it!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  7. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    my roo's come running so they can be the first to mate the hen after she laid an egg?? That may have something to do with it???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by