The egg shells and egg eating.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iron dog, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Iron dog

Iron dog Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    San Antonio Texas
    One of my 4 gold sexlink(all have only been laying a couple of weeks.)has been laying useable but thin shelled eggs and today I caught them eating a thin shelled egg.I just when to collect the rest and found one layed in the run and not the best shell. How much of a problem and what should I do?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Iron Dog, and [​IMG]. Great to have you aboard! Do your birds have access to a calcium source like oyster shell in order to produce hard egg shells? If not that would explain the thin egg shells. Also, you want to get on that egg eating situation - it can be a real issue and can be learned by other chickens in the flock! Here's a link about breaking an egg eater https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater
    Best of luck to you and your flock!

3. Iron dog

Iron dog Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    San Antonio Texas
    I had oysters shell , cottage cheese and a good layer feed. I collect the eggs by noon( I work in the afternoon basically.), so they are not attracting snakes and what not.

4. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Should I remove eggs from nest box as soon as they lay?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thin shelled eggs are kind of fair game for eating..but it can lead to eating harder shelled eggs.

So only one bird has the thin shells?
    Maybe she's the last to start laying?

Could just be 'startup' glitches...it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Egg eating can be a lack of protein too.....layer feed is often minimal (16%) protein for laying..and if you're feeding any other foods/treats, that protein is diluted.
    So, you might try a higher protein feed.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wait, what!?

Might be best to start a new thread describing the context for your question.

7. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Okay thanks.... Sorry

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Bottom line is your pullets are new layers....They need to work the glitches out...Soft shelled eggs can be a protein issue....In your case it is young pullets..
    Put on a 17% layer pellet and provide oyster shell...Things will get better once the hens get into sync with egg laying...

Good luck....

9. Iron dog

Iron dog Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    San Antonio Texas
    Thanks for the feedback. No more egg eating and the one thin shell layer is slowly improving. It's all new to me and I'm enjoying learning about this most "common" bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by