The eggs were only turned once today.....

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I worked all day yesterday and only turned the eggs in the 'bator once. Then, today, I thought I'd turn them all three times and guess what--I forgot
roll.png
. I only turned them once. This is day 3 of incubation. I candled a couple and can see little tiny blood vessels. So would only turning them once a day for two days kill them?! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

As Silkie says missing a day here and there is fine....the reason for hand turning several times a day is to prevent the yolk from settling to one side and to exercise the embryo.......

the reason for hand turning several times a day is to prevent the yolk from settling to one side and to exercise the embryo

*chuckles* youll just have lazy chicks........
lol.png

no no, they will be fine, some days i only get to turn 1 time, some days i get to turn 3 times. so far they seem to be hatching great.​

You'll just get some that like to sleep like dead bugs! Pfffft! I still can't explain how one of my Leghorns slept upside down in the yard all the time - maybe she was from a no turn hatch!

I was only turning a couple of eggs 1 or 2 times per day because I didn't have room on the turner for them (plus the fact that I'm at work during the day). As soon as a spot opened up, I put them in and they hatched just fine on day 21.
smile.png

A couple years back, as an experiment, I incubated 18 Guinea fowl eggs. For the entire incubation period I never opened the incubator. No turning, no adding water, nothing. !5 of the 18 hatched.
Lesson learned: chill out, the process is very forgiving.

Days 3-9 are the most important for the turning anyway. No worries if you totally missed the first 2 days! It is actually OK to turn days 3-14 only.

It is amazing sometimes -- the more I worry & work with a hatch, the worse it usually goes-- the least I do, often, it is for the better! More hatch. As with a lot of things, sometimes we can know too much.

Back
Top Bottom