The end of the molt, resumption of laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KDH, Jan 2, 2011.

1. KDH

KDH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    All four of our GLW hens (10 months old) are molting - they've been at it for about two weeks now - and of course they're not laying at the moment. They stopped squatting, etc. They otherwise seem happy and healthy, active, eating, running around. They're on layer pellets, plus "treats" we give them - salad greens, brown rice cooked up special for them with flaxseed and bran (they LOVE it), meat scraps, etc.

So, how do I know when they're gearing up to lay again? And what comes first, the squat or the egg? [​IMG] No, seriously, this is our first chicken experience, so any input appreciated.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My particular flock has never squatted for me like others - and like my previous flock, so i wouldn't count on that. I would just start checking for eggs every day if it were me. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You'll see their combs going from pale pink back to red when they are gearing up to start laying again. It may be a while, though. Molts seem to take forever.

Good luck.

4. KDH

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    These gals were all big squatters ... so I expect they'll start that again. So, for normal, healthy hens, how long should I expect them to stay "eggless"?

5. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

My leghorn molted and has been eggless for over 2 months. She is slacking big time.

6. KDH

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Slacker hens... [​IMG] It's sort of commical to watch them, though. They stretch and flap their wings, and feathers explode everywhere...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by