The ever changing coop :-)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yadaguhtoo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    [​IMG]
    Well it started out as a turkey condo but , the turkeys never used it. Then we had a hen show up with 8 babies so we enclosed the bottom for a brooding area. Then a week later we had another hen show up with 7 more babies, so we enclosed the top and made them a safe place to be. This past weekend my DH made an outdoor pen so they can all have some space and dirt to scratch around in. He has named it "Chicken Manor". DH says I have gone chicken crazy.....looks to me like he is right there with me now :)

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like it! It's really charming!

3. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    really cool looking coop.

4. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you!
    I just have to be careful the hubby doesn't build on so much that it makes it hard to clean....he forgets about that part :) He just asked me did you post a pic of the coop on BYC yet? Yep my chicken craziness is rubbing off on him...lol

5. mestaske

mestaske Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    it looks like a tree house, really cool.

6. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

chickens they are contagious!

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

just another thought- you might want to think about painting it so that it will last longer. Also, the roof could use some kind of roofing so those boards don't rot out... but if you can't do that now, a good thick coat of paint will help it hold up to the rain, snow and elements. But I think the build- the actual coop itself and the run is just really cute!

8. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Quote:X2. Very cute coop but I agree that OSB isn't going to hold up very long in the weather without some protection. For cheap exterior paint you can try the mis-matched paint rack at the hardware store or a partial can of used paint from someplace like the reStore. You can usually mix two wild colors (like hot pink and lime green) together to make a nice grayish color.

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I love it. It is awesome.

10. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Some mineral felt on the roof etc and that is one tasty coup! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by