The Ever Common "What sex is this" Question....

MaconMommy5

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Central GA
Mainly I just have a fast question! No pictures or asking you to guess. I have some RIR I got a month ago at TSC, And I suspect they were about a week or two old when I got them... When is a good time to try to sex them? When we were buying them One guy said they were pullets, and the other said they were unsexed. So I'm expecting (And hoping for) at least a couple to be Roo's. My daughter REALLY wants to name them, And I just can't explain to her that a Rooster named Olivia wouldn't work too well. Lol

They should be able to be sexed at around 6 weeks. At 8-10 weeks for sure
smile.png
So not much longer! What's the for sure sign? Lol. I'm new to chickens! It's obvious when they're adults... Chicks... not so much!

Since you have more than one and they are the same breed it will be easy to compare them. You wanna look for the ones with bigger, redder combs. A pullets comb shouldn't be red when they're chicks. Also compare their size in general and the size of the legs. The males are bigger. When the feathers come in the males will have pointed saddle and hackle feathers which is around the neck and tail. The females will have more rounded feathers around there.

Last edited:
Since you have more than one and they are the same breed it will be easy to compare them. You wanna look for the ones with bigger, redder combs. A pullets comb shouldn't be red when they're chicks. Also compare their size in general and the size of the legs. The males are bigger. When the feathers come in the males will have pointed saddle and hackle feathers which is around the neck and tail. The females will have more rounded feathers around there.

Awesome! I'll take a look tomorrow and see If I can see a difference, If not I'll try again in a week or two! Thank you so much!

You'd be surprised by all the roosters with girly names. My friend named her pullet Tiffany, and Tiffany responded by crowing. He answered to Tiffany all his life, so I guess roosters don't mind at all.

Back
Top Bottom