The everlasting broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have this brown/red cochin hen whom I let hatch out 6 eggs july 25th. All 6 hatched and 5 were serama chicks, 1 was a buff brahma/cochin mix. I have since sold off all but 2 of her chicks and she still hasn't kicked them to the curb yet. Isn't this a little extreme? I mean for petes sake the chicks are darn near her size and no longer fit under her altho I am sure they think otherwise. Anyone else had a hen hang on to her brood for this long? We are coming up on 3 months here and I would like to see her become a productive member of the flock again soon. Don't get me wrong I enjoy seeing her tote around some teenagers but sheesh man the flock misses the days of roosting together with her, her mate is beside himself waiting on her and has since moved on LOL!

[​IMG]

2. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

My BO had a hatch on my birthday, 30th July, and only went back to the flock and started laying again at the beginning of this month. I thought she was taking her time, but your girl sure is a dedicated Mom!

I do hope she gives up soon. [​IMG]

Beautiful birds by the way [​IMG]

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great photo!

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thank you [​IMG] I do hope she gets back to being a chicken soon too, those boys she has left are gonna be covering her soon lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by