The evolution of a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chefmarkh, Feb 14, 2013.

1. chefmarkh

chefmarkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Stourport, Worcs, UK
    I decided to get chickens about a year ago after seeing a coop for sale in a local pet shop. And i thought it would be nice for my little boy to grow up with some chickens and fresh eggs.
    So i went on ebay and after a bit of fadf and trouble with a seller i bought this

[​IMG]

2. Crazy Mitch

Crazy Mitch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Sweet. . . so where are the chickens? ? ? Can you post pictures?

3. chefmarkh

chefmarkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Stourport, Worcs, UK
    Sorry for delay, busy day at work.

So i got the coop above and i was happy the girls were happy but unfortunately the dog thought it was a massive chew toy with delicious treats inside.

So i fenced coop off using bamboo cane and some plastic netting as a temporary measue whist i thought up my plan

I decided to build a more permanent run so they have constant outdoor access but the dog can't get to them.

So off i went to B&Q to buy what i needed, i had no set plan on paper just a rough mental idea and a couple of measurements.

[​IMG]

The above is what i came up with. I kept the roost and nest box off the original but took the run off the side.

I used what i could in the build of this, the apex off the roof is the trim on top of the gate, which was the first time i had made a gate so i was very pleased that it came out square, especially as like the majority of it the measures were done by eye.
    [​IMG]

This little feeding shelter i made from the roof of the run and some off cuts i had left over, it's been in valuble in keeping the food dry as we.ve had a very wet few months and a good dumping of snow, the girls also use it just to keep dry.

[​IMG]

The roost area is a nice fit, it gives easy access to lift the roof and to check the nest box so when they get their *** in to gear and start laying i can be in and out in a flash. You can also see where the dog got his teeth in it by the air vent.

[​IMG]

Two of the girls polly and ella, i have no idea which is which as they look like twins. One has developed slightly brighter blue patches recently so that will help, they are a liitle perch i made just to lift them off the ground when it's abit water logged

[​IMG]

This is sookie poking her head out, she has is a liitle poorly at the moment, so please check out my poorly silkie post .

I still have a few things to sort out on it as polly and ella have both escaped before now, and i need to improve the drainage.

But all in all I and the girls are happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by