The excitement is gone...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggsForIHOP, Sep 14, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    We got our FIRST GREEN EGG YESTERDAY! Which should be a totally awesome thing, right? Picture this though...

But, as I hollered from the porch in my night gown "Did we get any eggs today?" My husband answered back "Just a really big brown one." I watched as he brought it to the porch and lo and behold: a GREEN ONE! BUT...here's the pitty...I didn't put this one little fact into the equation...HE IS COLOR BLIND!

I have been waiting and hoping and praying that the EE's would at least have one green or blue egg layer among them since they were little fluffy butts back in April...and we do...but he can't tell! I'm still pretty jazzed, but sad at the same time. He totally doesn't get the excitement in this - no clue, can't see it. He even took it over to the neighbors house to ask what color it was because he thought I was messing with him (I do sometimes, can't resist). While stood there hollering "Don't leave until I get a picture!" no less, he stomped off thinking I was pulling his leg...the neighbors chickens don't make green eggs, so they were surprised. Everyone at work last night asked "What layed that?" It should have been a little happier for me, but I just kept thinking of my poor husband...

Because to him, it's just another brown egg in the carton...Just had to share...Anyone else have a colorblind member of the house that just don't get it?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yes, DW can't enjoy the colored eggs either. So sad! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, that IS sad! Not heartbreakingly sad, but just..... darn sad.

At least he can still enjoy the wonderful flavor of the home-raised eggs, though!

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

great story! thanks for sharing! LOL

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Time to change husbands.

6. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    My oldest boy is color blind. So far, it hasn't been an issue with chickens. Don't ask him to go pick the ripe tomatoes though. [​IMG]

8. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I just keep thinking....

When he was a kid, did he think he was getting a bunch of brown eggs for Easter?

9. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    maybe it's a bigger deal to you than it is to him?
    my husband almost got rid of half of our flock so we could get some EEs, because his was sooooo worked up when he heard about their green eggs, only reason he didn't was because he knows I'd make him sleep in the chicken coop if he did.
    me, on the other hand, I couldn't care less what color they are, I've seen them and they do look cool, but I'm more concerned with keeping them healthy so I can get those big beautiful yolks. [​IMG]
    I have some customers who are so bent on the idea of brown eggs being healthier than white, they won't buy a carton if it has a white one in it. [​IMG]
    I guess my point is that some people are particularly excited about one color or another, especially with green, while others like me really don't care much.
    So if he's not super upset about it, don't stress yourself out. [​IMG]

p.s. I love that you mess with him sometimes, I would TOTALLY do that to mine if he was colorblind! [​IMG]

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm a huge tease, but I would be a little careful about messing with some people about it.

My dad has been treated as though he's stupid many, many times, especially when he was a child. Although he's a very funny guy, he's a bit sensitive about his color blindness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by