The Fake Hatch Story

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by championny, Apr 21, 2008.

1. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    So, perhaps I am going mad, but I had to share this story. I am doing laundry in my garage where my incubator is (Don't worry, we don't open the garage door while the chicks are there [​IMG])

Well, I was putting stuff in the dryer, when I herd what sounded like cheeping and rattling on the hardware cloth. I dropped my stuff and ran like heck to the incubator. I looked in and just 4 eggs moving slightly (was just one). I scratched my head, like what the heck? i could have sworn it was a chick just zipped out and walking about. Well, Peepers, my 1 mo Pekin was sleeping in his box, so it wasn't him. Then thew wind blew, and I heard the garage door make that rattling sound ever so lightly like I heard and the darn birds outside started up chirping away again. [​IMG]

No pips or chicks, but now I have 4 moving on day 20, so I feel a little better. Now, where are my pips! [​IMG] I hope this gives a laugh to everyone, and anyone like me whose waiting impatiently. [​IMG]

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I've done stuff like that where I think I hear them hatching but it's something else. Good stuff.

3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Been there, done that!! When it's before day 21 and I hear that familiar PEEP I first think, was that my shoe, what was that? Or when I'm impatiently waiting on a hatch, I hear imaginary peeps in my head all the time... it will drive you mad!!

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I got up yesterday morning all excited I could hear the chicks!! I ran to the incubator, rubbing my eyes.....nothing!!!! What in the world? Oh now I know. It was Pattington (my 3 week old jumbo Perkin) He was just hungry. LOL SO I gave him food and when back to bed! Oh did I mention it was 3 in the morning? LOL But this morning I could hear Pattington again, nope it WAS my chicks!!!! [​IMG]

5. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    That's what I am hoping for any minute now. [​IMG]

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    about 6 years ago I tried to make an incubator out of a round staro foam I had a heat adjustaer lamp and that was it. Internet was not a strong resorce tool for me at that time so I just wingled it . I think I had 3 eggs and proceeded to incubate them. after 2 week I kept thinking I could hear some chirps and hightail it to crappy homemade incubator. I could have sworn I heard baby chicks a couple times. my mom played a trick on me one time and said she heard peeping. There was nothing:mad: longstory short they started to stink and I got rid of the whole thing.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm sure you held your breath the whole time you were running! How disappointing. [​IMG] Glad to hear that the eggs are moving though. Sounds like if won't be long! [​IMG]

8. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Are we CRAZY, or what? I set my eggs last Saturday. Monday morning I came in from work, and could have SWORN I heard peeps. Is it that instant gratification thing we Americans are so used, and not wanting to wait the 3 weeks that causes this phenomenon?? It is really weird that so many of us have "phantom chick syndrome." I was not about to mention this ghost biddy thing to ANYONE! Its good to know I'm not alone...

9. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:Of course not. At this stage in the game, I am up for anything. Even sharing this story and other's sharing theirs helps me to relax and wait for that darn pip! I am impatient even though its only day 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by