The family friendliest breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jencleg, May 16, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    We are new to this so I am taking a poll to see what we might enjoy the most..or better yet which breed is most likey to tolerate us! I originally had my heart set on Silkies, we purchased some but due to them being sickly, [​IMG] we do not have them anymore, and now the more I lurk around this site, I am somewhat torn!! We live in a subdivision (no HOA) and I have 2 kids so I need sturdy & FRIENDLY.... Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

2. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I vote for BR (Barred Rock). Our hen is a sweetheart -- she loves to sit on laps and perch on shoulders. She also falls asleep in our arms! She is great with our kids, too, and lets them pick her up.

3. fowlfrenzy1029

fowlfrenzy1029 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Garfield, KY
    i would go with buff orpingtons barred rocks or rhode island reds in my experience with all three they are very people friendly

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The most people friendly chickens I have had were my Golden Sex Links (cross between a Rhode Island Red and R.I. White).

They were aggressive to some of my timid chickens, so I sold them at auction. But my youngest child still misses them, "because they let me catch them."

Our second most friendly chickens to people are our Buff Orpingtons. (Our silkies aren't laying yet, and they will no doubt rise up the list once they do.) But this was only after they started laying. They were skittish until then.

Oh wait- I just remembered when we had our precious Peaches and Dahlia (d'Uccles). Oh my. They were SOOOOO friendly. But they are bantams. If you love bantam eggs, then I recommend Cochins and d'Uccles. Our bantam cochins were so docile.

They have large fowl Cochins but I don't have experience with them.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Cochins are the next best thing to silkies. They come in standard and bantam so you have a choice if you want smaller or bigger.

6. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want large fowl I've heard that Brahmas or Cochin make great pets.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Cochin..big or small. The bantam make the best kids pets around then Sex links,Orpington,Barred Rock,RIR can be real nice or on the more dominant side.What I tell all my new chicken buyers is buy a variety of what you think sounds good and decide for your self what works..what one person likes isn't necessarily what will work best for you and your family.

8. seamsewnice

seamsewnice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    My Barred Rock is my most friendly bird I have, will come and jump on my lap and just sit there. Also, another very friendly bird is an EE but they are very different birds and getting one that is friendly seems like a chance, but do love those blue eggs. Peaches the EE likes to fly up on my shoulder to roost at night, but I make her go back to the perch to sleep. Barred Rocks seem very hardy too, have lost Buff Orpington's and Black Austrolorps but the BR seems to keep on going.

9. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have already been swayed toward the cochins, and found some close to where we live, but I also really want a few BO's too. I am just having a terrible time finding anyone with them available right now..... anybody know of anyone in the N Ga area?? [​IMG]

10. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    In our flock, the buff orps are our friendliest with the buff brahma bantams running a close second. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by