The Farmer's Market was a BUST :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Guitartists, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I didn't sell a single chicken [​IMG] Of course, my hopes were not very high as we had maybe 20 people stop and a majority of the market is really cheap garage sale items. Nothing much to do with farmers..... the only thing farmer about it was the Amish that brought baked goods and veggies. I had a few people stop and talk to me about the chickens.... but 90% of them were from in town and couldn't have any.

My jerk of a neighbor was there..... didn't say a word... just stared at my chickens, then at me, then at my chickens and then walked away. JERK!!! [​IMG] I'm waiting to get a letter of some kind... he loves writing citations! Of course... he's NEVER seen a chicken at my house...sooo, whatever [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good thing though.... I met a lady on the way to the airport with her mom (otherwise she probably would have bought a chicken or two, LOL) and she was SOOOOO nice and had no idea that chickens could be so pretty or clean! (So proud of my chickies!!! [​IMG] ) And she will hopefully join the BYC when she gets to where she's going...... I told her all about Frizzles and d'Uccles.... and she's super excited about blue chickens! [​IMG] So, I have a feeling she is on her way to assimilation! [​IMG] [​IMG]

So............ Super nice lady that I met at the Bronson Farmer's Market...... I hope you do make it here, and I hope you get lots of cute little chickies soon, and I hope you see this eventually and drop me a "Hello!" [​IMG]

Forgot to add...... the little chicks were so HAPPY to get back to the coop that they all took turns jumping on the box and flying to the door at the other end...... They needed those little dive-bomber sounds from cartoons... LMAO

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My experience with markets is that many of the shoppers are stand-offish or scared when they see a "new guy" there selling stuff. Things get more comfortable as they begin to recognize your face.

With that said, if the market is more a flea market than farmer's market, then perhaps your ideal customer is not there.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi Angie What kinda chicks you got? Do you have to get rid of them?

That is funny I was supposed to go to the market today to sell chickens and I overslept. My neighbor is being a total B&^%#@ but to my face sugar sweet. [​IMG]

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Guitartists,
    Keep looking for another flea market. We have one near us the people only sell pets, chickens, ducks ect and feed and cages and they do exceptionally well there all flea market season long. Only shame is they have a line of bull they give also which is not always totally correct. One example was a RIR is the same as a sex-link because that is what they had there to sell that day. So it is the same at any stand in the flea market "buyer beware", if you know nothing of what you are buying you are at the mercy of the seller. Good luck there should be an outlet somewhere out there. Harry

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I agree about looking for another market. In North Texas, it was like every little town had something like that, but some were really ghetto and others were really great! Of course the first chickens I ever bought were at the ghetto flea market [​IMG] I felt sorry for them [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks guys! There were , as follows...... 3 Amish tents, 1 Avon tent , 1 plant lady, 2 garage sales and US!!!! LMFAO!!!! But hey, it WAS FREE and I had nothing better to do, so I figured it was worth a shot [​IMG] Lesson learned LOL

I will take them to the next swap that comes up close to me, or I'll just keep them [​IMG] My coop is only so big and I have new eggs of breeds that I have been waiting for, so, I need to make some room. These first eggs were my trial hatch since I built my bator [​IMG] I would rather they find new homes with paying customers...LOL Otherwise they may end up Free-range chickies. Which, honestly, once they are grown, they should be fine. There's TONS of hiding spots, empty buildings and the wild animals stay clear because of the dogs. We shall see. I'll probably just put an ad on Craig's List... I've just never used it and I DON'T want anyone taking them for dog baiting!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The true farmer's markets will not allow the traveling side show vendors, like garage sales or cheap people trying to sell crap to even cheaper people. The foodies avoid those kinds of markets, so you want to get into one where it requires the vendors to have actually produced the products themselves.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Dog baiting happens. We lost a cat in Texas and I am POSITIVE he was used for this. The guy down the street walked his fighting pits on massive chains EVERYDAY right in front of our house. Once our cat was missing, he never walked past again.

I would think finding people from this board would be far better than Craig's List for chicken rehoming.

My 2 cents.

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My problem is that there are not many members close enough to me that would likely want them [​IMG] We shall see what the future holds [​IMG]

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Where is this at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by