The final word on sexing Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hatrick, May 11, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So they're only a week old tomorrow, and I know there is much debate over markings and how they may pertain to sexing Barred Rocks.

I have one suspect who has a blaze of white across it's head and I read somewhere about feathers on the wings, and their length having something to do with sex?

This one has wing feathers that are all about the same length, however the other three have longer feathers. It's quite a distinct difference, but is it definite evidence of a roo?

Mind you, a couple of the others are lighter grey in colour so I'm concerned about them as well.

So at what age AM I going to be able to tell for sure?

Thanks!

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I could tell the difference between my BRs at around 2 weeks... I think the wing-feather sexing only works when they are a day or so old.

At 2 weeks, the male had much more white in his barring, and a more irregular-shaped white spot on his head. The female had a more noticeable wash of black down the front of her legs. At 3 weeks the male's comb was noticeably bigger too. If you haven't already, check out spckledhen's posts on sexing barred rocks. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

4. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for that link, SpeckledHen. I've been reading every BR thread because I'm a novice who purchased 6 week old BR "pullets" from a woman on Craig's List. I think 4 of them might be cockerels, but I'm not sure.

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    At six weeks old, you should have a pretty definate idea as to what you have.

6. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm going to try and post some pics that I "tried" to take. I'm a photographer but these babies don't respond to the usual, "Hey over here!" [​IMG]
    Um, I'm really freaked out now though by that link that was posted because none of my "girls" have small very distinct spots, in fact all of them have a sort of spread out appearance, not to mention two of them are more silvery grey than the other. Sigh. We only have four, and the hatchery we got them from doesn't guarantee sex on orders under 30 and not at all for Barred Rocks. What am I going to do if I have three ROOS??!!!
    I'll stop distressing prematurely and post those pics. Thanks guys!

7. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    @ Dustin, I think I have 4 cockerels and 2 pullets and that woman took advantage of my inexperience or was unsure herself of their sex. There is one I'm not sure (larger comb like the suspected cockerels, but lighter in color & tiny wattle unlike the suspected cockerels).

This is my first time purchasing them and I hadn't researched what they look like at 6 weeks. I asked her about the combs and she said, "oh those ones are older" (they do appear larger so maybe they are older) and "I checked the markings on their heads as chicks."

I'll post some photos later for the BYC group for all your opinions. Needless to say, as I've been reading these threads, I am becoming more conviced these are males, which sours the experience a bit. My husband, who grew up around chickens (not BR) says we may end up being surprised and to wait a few more weeks to know for sure.

It's really tough when we don't even know their age. I have some Ameracuanas born on 2/15 that are larger so I know they are less than 12 weeks, but other than that I don't know.

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by