The fire ant dance

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, May 17, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    SO today I was harvesting the seed pods of my turnips so I'll have seeds for fall. and I got tired of bending and crouching and decided to sit down. well this was working great until about half way through.

I got a twing in my lower back. i rub at it, then another twing then another, then all at once my back and stomach was on fire.

I looked down and realized I was sitting in a fire ant hill. I was so engrossed in what I was doing, that I didn't notice the nasty little buggers.

I jump up and start stomping and slapping at myself, but they have covered me, all inside my shirt under my sports bra, in my pants, everywhere!

Now I have this weird thing where sometimes i'm really quiet when upset, scared or in pain, and sometimes I am rather vocal.

This time I made no noise. I just jumped around like a maniac.

When this didn't work, i started to strip, right there in the yard. gloves flannel shirt, tank top, shoes, socks, pants, everything but my underwear came off.

my step father chooses this moment to wander out. i saw him but he did not see me, and deciding that was a trauma neither one of us wanted to experience, i ran into the woods before he spotted me.

so there i go, streaking through the woods in my underwear, my dogs think i'm running and having fun, and they bound around me, having a blast, while i'm itching and slapping and doing the fire ant dance in the woods, surrounded by the wailings of the cicadas.

Now mind you i fell down the stairs this morning so my hip was already killing me, and now it was on fire, it is also chilly for Alabama today, so now i'm chilled, itchy, and achy... and in my underwear in the woods.

oh yeah, i really had to pee, i mean really had to pee. the dancing did not help

darn fire ants.

it took my step father a good fifteen minutes to wander off before i could dart out grab my clothes and return to the woods to shake the evil little monsters out of my clothes before putting everything back on and returning to harvesting the turnip seeds.

well... at least the dogs had fun

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    So sorry this happened to you! When I lived in AZ something like that happened to me as well. You just look back at it and laugh [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry, I know that no part of that is funny, but I can't stop giggling at the image you crafted. The only thing that would make me laugh more would be if your step father [​IMG] happened to see you streaking into the woods. Realistically, being a Yankee I have only met with fire ants upon one occasion at my Mom's down in Fla. [​IMG] I really am sorry about the pain that you must be dealing with.

4. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    laugh away. i think it's funny now. it's why I posted it.

i told one of my friends and he sighed and said " Only you"

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I remember those evil little fire ant hills.... Sat in few myself.. [​IMG]
    I remember the bull ants too... *shivers*

Take something for the pain.. [​IMG]

6. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I had to live in Texas for 7 years before I was able to escape. One day I needed to take the wheel off my car and sat on the curb with shorts on. I sat right next to a fire ant hill and they invaded my crotch. I did the dance too. Feel bad for you.

The whole time I lived down there I would feel phantom fire ants on my skin. Took about 3 years after I moved to stop feeling those things. You can't sit anywhere down there on the grass. The stupid things are always scouting and when one finds you they all swarm to you.

7. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:oh i know what you mean. the rest of teh day i keep feeling phantom ants.

and you can't sit anywhere without the darn things getting you.

interesting enough though, this batch of chicks that are a month and a half old, I am now letting forage in the yard, have taken to tearing apart the hills and eating the eggs. my grown birds won't do that but these little ones seem perfectly happy to put up with the bites to get at the eggs.

8. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:oh i know what you mean. the rest of teh day i keep feeling phantom ants.

and you can't sit anywhere without the darn things getting you.

interesting enough though, this batch of chicks that are a month and a half old, I am now letting forage in the yard, have taken to tearing apart the hills and eating the eggs. my grown birds won't do that but these little ones seem perfectly happy to put up with the bites to get at the eggs.

Bizarre. Those tiny little suckers are mean. That would be fun to watch though. Give you a little feeling of revenge.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    "Fire Ant Dance!" The latest in aerobic fitness!

10. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by