The First batch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miss silky, Dec 6, 2012.

1. miss silky

miss silky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Illinois
    I'm on the 11th day hatching chicken eggs and can,t tell if their living. the yolk doesn,t move and looks clear the rest are to dark to see through and their white shells except for a couple BBV. they dont feel soft, i,m hand turning often, but feel heavier?and NO smell yet. Can anyone HELP?I,m ready to order more, these came the week of Thanksgiving and sat in the post office, Thurs.? I don,t want bad ones to effect the only good ones, if their are any.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
  3. miss silky

Dec 4, 2012
    Illinois
    Awesome! I ordered my eggs from my pet chicken and their all supposed to be fertile?Should I contact them and tell em? I don,t see blood rings or dots of death but I did order them Thanksgiving week and they sat in the post office all thurs. until i got em friday. Maybe that shortened my chances?Thanks for your help, I,m so ready to crack one open and see!What are you hatching?I,m Bantams

4. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    here is a neat site with lots of information. I agree with chicknlove. Dont toss the dark ones just yet. YOu should be seeing veins by now though. What are you using to candle them with? I use a superbright LED flashlight. in a dark room you can just put it up to the egg and see whats goin on inside with out handling them too much. wha tdo your air cells look like? I got a batch of shipped eggs that the air cells were all hugs- none of the eggs developed.

http://chickscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/explore/embryology/

5. miss silky

Dec 4, 2012
    Illinois
    Thanks for replying...i use a led flashlight and even made some homemade ones with my lava lamp stands.they got hot.i,m gonna get a little candler soon.i shouldn,t see any clear in the eggby now,right?anyone?i,d hate to break one open to find an undevelped chick!i think i have 3 good ones out of the 14 but my silky is sitting on 2 and she wont give em up! Do they get soft when their bad or not neccessarily? Help!

6. miss silky

Dec 4, 2012
    Illinois
    Forgot to mention that the air cell was about 1/4-2/3 of the egg they all seemed different

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Unless they smell or weep I would say live them in there it would be ssad to crack open a liveing egg

8. chicknlove

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Even if they were all fertile, shipping them is hard on them and they can get scrambled. I'm sure MPC has a disclosure explaining once it leaves their hands ..etc. When I candled my eggs at 9 days I saw movement in all the viable ones and the ones I suspected were infertile where all clear. I opened them up today and my suspicions were correct. [​IMG] I do have one I'm not sure about, but it's got a dark mass, no movement and I'm pretty sure it's an early death... but I'm leaving it in just incase..

9. chicknlove

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Oh and I'm hatching red and black sex links. I found eggs from a breeder nearby. I hope to have my own breeder flock this summer [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    my air cells were all huge, not hugs, lol... it sounds like yours arrived messed up, too. At this point I would toss the clear ones. crack one open to see, but if they are still clear, they aren't going to develop. i would leave any that you aren't sure about. they eggs will not get soft, but if they rot, they might start to weep some or explode... and then you will know it. thankfully, I have not had any explode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by