The first egg!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leah_c, Aug 17, 2011.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    This is what I found this morning when I let the chickens and ducks out of the coop this morning!

[​IMG]

My Rouen hen is about 6months old. In this pic I put one of my chicken eggs next to it for size comparision. So egg-cited!!!

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

[​IMG]

3. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Question: Someone here at work made mention that when you raise chickens for thier eggs, you don't want to eat the first ones!? Is this true? And does it then apply to duck eggs? Curiously wondering whay it would even matter!? [​IMG]

PS. Congratulations on your first egg!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Ditto the eating the first eggs question. I have not heard this. We have had 4 eggs from our hen and have eaten all four of them (nice strong shell, and eggs looked wonderful)????[​IMG]

Congratulations on your first egg. It's really quite exciting! After four days of eggs from our hen, we did not get one this morning. Yes, she's entitled to a day off. But I missed my happy "surprise"!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Congrats to you!!!! [​IMG]

6. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have read that about not eating the first egg. Can't remember as to why. We are getting about 5-6 eggs a day from our chickens, and I have scrambled up their first eggs and fed them back to the chickens. Will probably do the same for the duck eggs. Not sure if the ducks will actually EAT it, but I'm sure the chickens will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by