The First Hatch of 2009 for Me.....Fuzz Butt Therapy Coming Feb 25th!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Jan 24, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As you know, I'm laid up with a broken ankle full of hardware, but I had planned this and we're going to go ahead with it. I need something to occupy my time and thoughts while this stupid ankle heals! So, tomorrow, my DH will start collecting eggs from the Blue Orpington pen to incubate. I'm getting some more wonderful Delaware eggs shipped to me by my breeder friend,which will arrive Feb 5 or 6 and they'll all go in together.
    Suede has three blue lovelies and my RIR/Buff Orp cross hen, Meg, in his harem. Hopefully, I wont incubate too many of Meg's eggs by mistake; usually, hers are shiny whereas Skye's are more matte finish, but they both lay ex lg to jumbo eggs. Dusty and Smoky are the newbies and their eggs have never been incubated, so this is a fertility test, of sorts.
    One of our members who lives in NC not far from me will be picking up the Blue Orp chicks soon after they hatch, at least a few of them. There will probably be some extras since I'm not keeping any of them, only the Delawares.
    I'm psyched about this hatch. My last hatch was back in July.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Best of luck for a great hatch and some awesome therapy. So far I have resisted temptation this winter to incubate.

Rumor has it I will be jobless in 2-weeks. Somehow I see me breaking out the bators to soothe myself...

Julie [​IMG]

3. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Cyn,
    Hope the recovery is going well. I am right there with you. I just turned one of the incubators on, mine have been off since August. I have a hatch due Feb 7 and setting again today and they will be due Feb 14.
    Good luck with your hatch and recovery,
    Christie [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Julie, sorry about the job situation. Too many people, including my DIL, are losing their jobs.
    Christie, I just sent you an email. Glad to see your new standard breeds you're into now! Love my girls I hatched from you.

5. speckledhen

The Delaware eggs are in the mail! My DH has collected enough Blue Orp eggs to fill up the Hova turner the rest of the way, so in addition to the babies that crazyhen is picking up from me, there will be extras, providing the hatch goes well. I'm excited!!

On a side note, just got back from the surgeon. He's extremely pleased with how I'm healing up. Says I can start trying to put weight on the foot with the big boot on and in three weeks, I can try regular shoes. The foot is very swollen so can'tcompletely put it flat on the floor, but as the swelling goes down, it will get easier.

6. speckledhen

Eggs are here and coming up to temp, 20 beautiiful Delaware eggs. There are two possible sires of my chicks, the main one is our picture of the week, George! Will post pics of them later on. Wish me luck! Due date on or about Feb 25. They will be in with 18 BBS Orpingtons and 4 Barred Rocks, a full turner.

7. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    How exciting. I just love seeing folks hatching Dellies. But then again I might be biased. lol

8. speckledhen

Well, I love my Kira and she needs some sisters and a man, LOL. I just set the eggs so the countdown begins...

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    GO EGGS! Here's hoping for a great hatch! Sooo looking forward to their popping their fuzzinesses out!

Cyn, Ione is going to put some sizzles and some local dels in her sportsman for me so the little Del cockeral will have hopefully barred and extra dels and some sizzles for company while he grows.

There was a lady with Dels about an hour from here, thought I'd give them a shot.

Take care of that foot.

10. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Cyn, I'm jealous I want to hatch some fuzzies too. But even though we are having nice weather right now, I know I can't do that. By the time they would be due to hatch we could have feet of snow and bitter cold. This is my least favorite time of year in the mountains. Winter just sticks around way too long. Glad to hear your foot is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by