The first two are out! **PICS added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Feb 5, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    And holy cow are they loud!
    I brought Shorty the broody in the house last night as the temps were dropping into the single digits and my coop isn't insulated. (I may have over-reacted, but I got all nervous about little wet chicks popping out and freezing!) The brooder coop with mama hen and all is on my dining room table.
    About five AM I awoke to REALLY LOUD peeping. One baby was all the way out (and still damp) and the second was mostly out. Goodness these little guys are loud! I made up some mash for mama hen and just watched while she gobbled and hunkered over the remaining eggs and babies. Every now and then I got a glimpse of the tiny peepers. So, so cute!

I'm so excited! It's like Christmas morning!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Congratulations!!! Lets see some pictures! [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ackk!! I'm trying to be good and leave her alone so the other babies have time to come out. It's so tempting to lift mama up so I can get some photos. Arggg!!!
    Stay tuned. I'll try for pictures as soon as the sun comes up.
    [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    :loveFirst pics!
    [​IMG]

These are the first two out (hatched at the crack of dawn). There's a third one in there drying off. We'll see what happens with the last four eggs.

Aren't they just adorable?!

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive always thought a sheltie puppy was the cutest thing I could ever see, but I dont know, a hen with her newly hatched babies is right up there. Always makes me smile.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I love that tiny chicks always seem to have a slightly disgruntled look about them. Like they're thinking "What just happened here? I was warm and cozy and then kablam! I'm out here all cold and wet... sheesh!"
    (Actually, now that I think about it, my niece had that same look on her face when I first saw her at half an hour old... hmmmm...)
    [​IMG]

7. BantamMom13720

BantamMom13720 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    Spotsylvania , VA
    Congrats on the kids! I just had three hatch this week also- isn't it great!

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sweet! Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by