1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the flies are GONE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cobrien, Jul 9, 2011.

1. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I found a product at the pet store from a company called Natural Chemistry , product was called Yard & Kennel flea & tick spray. The ingredients were completely natural - cinnamon oil, vanilla, clove oil and cedar oil. I know cedar can be bad for chickens but I sprayed this in an outside area that has been seriously infested with flies and kept the chickens away for a day. The flies are totally gone. The area smelled really nice at first, and I detected a hint of cedar, but after a few hours it mellowed to the point where I didn't notice it. Anyone else use try this product?

2. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Which pet store did you get it? I have never even heard of it, but the flies here are terrible.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Essential oil mixtures are technically natural, but are still definitely volatile and shouldn't be used on bare skin. Cinnamon essential oil especially is quite an irritant. I would think that it wouldn't harm them at all once allowed to dry (since the volatiles evaporate). Sounds like it would smell nice, though.

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I wonder if it would kill chiggers?

5. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    This product is wonderful! I use the yard spray for the outdoors and their flea and tick mist for indoors. I dont find the Natural Chemistry products all that great for fleas and ticks but it does a fantastic job of keeping flies and gnats and mosquitos out of the yard and the other one keeps creepy crawlies like earwigs ,spiders and ants out of the house and shop. It smells wonderful and my clients comment on it all the time.

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I got it at a local chain (not national) called Petfood Express. But from looking online it looks like PetSmart carries it. On this link you can look for stores that carry it
    http://naturalchemistry.com/products/natural_yard__kennel_spray.html

It does say not to get it on your skin. I wore gloves when using it and kept the girls away for a day but it didn't say you needed to do that, I was just being cautious because it didn't explicitly say it was okay for poultry. I was a bit nervous about that but it had similar ingredients to another product I've used called Fly Away, which did say it was okay for poultry so that was reassuring. Per the instructions I put the Fly Away concentrate in my hand held garden sprayer thingie that you hand pump and spray, but the Yard & Kennel stuff attaches to a garden hose so you can get a much stronger spray. I really blasted the ground with it and now there is not a single fly out there. I'm sure they'll be back but I had a very serious fly problem and I'm glad I disrupted the breeding cycle for now. I'm planning on going nuts with some DE next week to help keep them under control (I hope). I live in the city and don't want anyone complaining.

If anyone is planning on trying this, please do use your own judgment since the label does not say okay for poultry. Ideally we should check with the manufacturer about using it with poultry (I plan on doing this but who knows how long it will take). I admit I was DESPERATE when I used it - I was about to resort to a pyrethrin spray or something because of having neighbors so close, and also being near a daycare and was really worried about complaints.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Chiggers?............the only way I've found to kill chiggers is just let them bite till they wear themselves out and die from exhaustion.

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

9. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Chiggers?............the only way I've found to kill chiggers is just let them bite till they wear themselves out and die from exhaustion.

[​IMG] That's bad news!

I'm glad the product the OP found works for flies though-I'm going to try it-for flies and chiggers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I am heading to our Petsmart tomorrow to see if they have it. I have some of those stupid sticky hanging traps and I tried a bag from Lowe's. It was basically rotten stuff that attracted the flies and they drown...my neighbor told my son that he could smell it when the wind blew toward his house, so I took it down and threw it in the trash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by